Department of Social and Political Sciences
Via Sarfatti 25
Institutional Affiliation: Bocconi University
Information about this author at RePEc
NBER Working Papers and Publications
|July 2019||Youth Drain, Entrepreneurship and Innovation|
with Gaetano Basso, Giuseppe Ippedico, Giovanni Peri: w26055
Migration outflows, especially of young people, may deprive an economy of entrepreneurial energy and innovative ideas. We exploit exogenous variation in emigration from Italian local labor markets to show that between 2008 and 2015 larger emigration flows reduced firm creation. The decline affected firms owned by young people and innovative industries. We estimate that for every 1,000 emigrants, 10 fewer young-owned firms were created over the whole period. A simple accounting exercise shows that about 60 percent of the effect is generated simply by the loss of young people; the remaining 40 percent is due to a combination of selection of emigrants among highly entrepreneurial people, negative spillovers on the entrepreneurship rate of locals, and negative local firm multiplier effect.
|June 2016||Does Emigration Delay Political Change? Evidence from Italy during the Great Recession|
with Giovanni Peri: w22350
Mobility within the European Union (EU) brings great opportunities and large overall benefits. Economically stagnant areas, however, may be deprived of talent through emigration, which may harm dynamism and delay political, and economic, change. A significant episode of emigration took place between 2010 and 2014 from Italy following the deep economic recession beginning in 2008 that hit most acutely countries in the southern EU. This period coincided with significant political change in Italy. Combining administrative data on Italian citizens who reside abroad and data on characteristics of city councils, city mayors and local vote, we analyze whether emigration reduced political change. The sudden emigration wave interacted with the pre-existing networks of emigration from Italian munici...
Published: Massimo Anelli & Giovanni Peri, 2017. "Does emigration delay political change? Evidence from Italy during the great recession," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 32(91), pages 551-596. citation courtesy of
|January 2013||Peer Gender Composition and Choice of College Major|
with Giovanni Peri: w18744
In this paper we analyze whether the gender composition of classmates in high school affects the choice of college-major by shifting it towards those majors preferred by the prevalent gender in the class. We use a novel dataset of 30,000 Italian students graduated from high school between 1985 and 2005 and followed through college and in the labor market. We exploit the fact that the gender composition of the graduating high school class, from one year to the next, within School-Teacher assignment group, shows large variation that we document to be as good as random. We find that male students who attended a high school class with at least 90% of male classmates were significantly more likely to choose "prevalently male" college majors (i.e. Economics, Business and Engineering). However, i...
Published: The Effects of High School Peers’ Gender on College Major, College Performance and Income Massimo Anelli1,* andGiovanni Peri2 Version of Record online: 20 DEC 2017 DOI: 10.1111/ecoj.12556 © 2017 Royal Economic Society Issue