MTO In The News
- Also published by
- Published in print on the front page of the September 21, 2012 edition as Leaving a poor place offers well-being, not money, study says.
· For the Urban Poor, a Downside to Residential Mobility. An article from The Atlantics Cities digital journal by Eric Jaffe. March 2, 2012.
- Also published in
o Chicago Sun Times: How poor neighborhood hurts health
o Yahoo Health: Study: Living in poor neighborhood can hurt health
o Chicago Daily Herald: Poverty takes toll on health of poor
- Includes video interview with Jens Ludwig, MTO Final Impact Evaluation Project Director
- California HealthLine: Study: Obesity, Diabetes Rates Lower for Women Who Leave Poorer Areas. October 21, 2011.
- Private MD Labs: Better neighborhoods may mean improved health for those at risk for diabetes. October 20, 2011.
- Third Age:
o Obesity Risk May be Lowered by Moving into a Better Neighborhood. October 21, 2011. Roberta Seldon.
o Obesity Battle Better Fought Outside High Poverty Neighborhoods. October 23, 2011. Rachelle Dragani.
- New America Foundation The New Health Dialogue Blog: Once again, where you live matters - a lot. October 21, 2011. Joe Calucci.
- Hive Health Media Blog: Women In Higher Class Areas Have Better Health. October 21, 2011. Claire Al-Aufi.
- U-Pack Moving: Study: Better neighborhoods are healthier. October 24, 2011. Landon Myers.
- Discover Magazine 80beats Blog: Moving to a Better Neighborhood Can Be as Effective as Drugs in Preventing Obesity and Diabetes, Study Suggests. October 25, 2011. Veronique Greenwood.
· How Renters' Aid Is Helping the Housing Market. From Newsweeks The Daily Beast blog. August 27, 2010. Alyssa Katz.
· Want to Cut Crime? It Takes a Neighborhood. A Washington Post article from February 24, 2008. Tim Harford.
· Sending poor kids to middle-class schools doesn't fix a thing; It doesn't produce better test scores or improve dropout rates. A Chicago Sun Times article from October 7, 2007. Joanne Jacobs. To access the Chicago Sun Times archives, click here.
· Neighborhoods' Effect On Grades Challenged. A Washington Post article from August 14, 2007. Jay Mathews.
· Housing and the Poor. A New York Times Letter to the Editor by William Julius Wilson. August 4, 2007.
· Obama Says He, Too, Is a Poverty Fighter. A Washington Post article from July 19, 2007. Alec MacGillis.
· On Poverty, Edwards Faces Old Hurdles. A Washington Post article from May 7, 2007. Alec MacGillis.
· How Much Does a Neighborhood Affect the Poor? A Wall Street Journal article from December 28, 2006. Jon E. Hilsenrath and Rafael Gerena-Morales.
· Concentrated Poverty in New Orleans and Other American Cities. A Chronicle of Higher Education article from August 4, 2006. Bruce Katz.
· Katrina's Tide Carries Many to Hopeful Shores. A New York Times article from April 23, 2006. Jason DeParle.
· Brattons broken windows; No matter what you've heard, the chief's policing method wastes precious funds. A Los Angeles Times column from April 20, 2006. Bernard E. Harcourt.
· Book on Chicago housing case a primer for Baltimore. A Baltimore Sun column from March 23, 2006. Eric Seigel. To access the Baltimore Sun and order the article, click here.
· An Uprooted Underclass, Under the Microscope. A New York Times article from September 25, 2005. Leslie Kaufman.
· Katrina's Silver Lining. A New York Times article from September 8, 2005. David Brooks.
· Ruling gives vindication to Schmoke: After the former mayor testifies, a judge says the city did not engage in intentional racial discrimination during his administration. A Baltimore Sun article from January 20, 2005. Eric Seigel.
· Suburbs fight efforts to move the poor. A Baltimore Sun article from January 20, 2005. Childs Walker.
· Decades after injustices were exposed by the civil rights movement, sentiment keeps blacks and whites living apart. A Baltimore Sun column from January 18, 2004. Michael Hill.
· Ghetto Miasma; Enough To Make You Sick? A New York Times article from October 12, 2003. Helen Epstein.
· Housing Complex: A Scholar Asks Whether We Really Have to Destroy Public Housing in Order to Save It. A Boston Globe article from March 9, 2003. Chris Berdik. To access the Boston Globe archives, click here.
· Equality of Opportunity and the Importance of Place: Summary of a Workshop. A publication produced by the Center for Social and Economic Studies, a Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, National Research Council, 2002.
· Moving to Opportunity. A piece in Online Opinion, January 15, 2002. Andrew Leigh, Justin Wolfers.
· The Geography of Life's Chances. An article in the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston's Regional Review, Quarter 4, 2001. Miriam Wasserman.
· Fear in the Ghetto and Its Ramifications for Parents. An article in the JCPR Policy Briefs series, September 2001. Jeffrey Kling, Jeffrey Liebman, Lawrence Katz.
· Movin (link). An article from the Monitor of Psychology from July/August 2001. Tori DeAngelis.
· A Voucher Success. A Boston Globe report from May 22, 2001. David Warsh. To access the abstract or order the article, click here.
· Economic View: By Listening, 3 Economists Show that Slums Hurt the Poor. A Sunday New York Times story from February 18, 2001. Louis Uchitelle.
· Poverty Research News. A January-February 2001 edition devoted to Moving to Opportunity research. Articles by Jeanne Brooks-Gunn, Alessandra Del Conte, Greg Duncan, Jeffrey Kling, Helen Ladd, Tama Leventhal, Jens Ludwig, Sara McLanahan, Becky Pettit, Emily Rosenbaum.
· Lessons: Offering Poor An Alternative To Vouchers. A New York Times column from October 18, 2000. Richard Rothstein.
· Dateline Looks At Pros, Cons Of Relocating Poor. A New York Daily News column from August 11, 2000 about the Dateline documentary Breaking AwayOut of Public Housing. Eric Mink.
· Can Housing Vouchers Help Poor Children? A Brookings Institution Policy Brief from July 2000. Greg Duncan and Jens Ludwig.
· From Ghetto to White Picket Fence. A CBS Evening News report from June 5, 2000. John Roberts.
· In Baltimore, Getting a Lease on Middle-Class Life. A Washington Post front page story from May 10, 2000. Amy Goldstein.
· What No School Can Do. A New York Times column from January 16, 2000. James Traub.
· Housing, not School, Vouchers are Best Remedy for Failing Schools. A Los Angeles Times report from January 31, 1999. Larry Cuban.
· A Social Experiment in Pulling Up Stakes. A Los Angeles Times report from September 23, 1997. Larry Gordon.
· Housing Voucher Test in Maryland is Scuttled by a Political Firestorm. A New York Times article from March 28, 1995. Karen DeWitt.
· Foes Kill Housing Plan Funds: Low-income renters call the move racist. An article in the Chicago Tribune from December 15, 1994. Laurie Abraham.
· A Fresh Start : Housing: The Moving to Opportunity program will take families out of the projects to see if a new environment helps them succeed. A Los Angeles Times story from November 8, 1994. Larry Gordon.
· Where Should Poor Families Live? A Chicago Tribune report from July 23, 1994. Lori Montgomery.
· 40 Years After Brown, Segregation Persists. A New York Times article from May 18, 1994. William Celis.
· Hostility Toward Relocating The Poor Is A Matter Of Race. A Chicago Tribune story from April 27, 1994. Clarence Page.
· Clinton Wages A Quiet War Against Poverty. A New York Times article from March 30, 1994. Jason DeParle.
Return to MTO Main Page