JAMES E. ANDERSON
Department of Economics
Chestnut Hill, MA 02167
Oberlin College - B.A., June 1965, cum laude with Honors in Economics
Vanderbilt University (no degree), 1965-66
University of Wisconsin - Ph.D., 1969
International Economics, Micro Theory and Applications, Economic History, and Economic Development.
International Trade and Finance (graduate), Trade and Finance (undergraduate),
Micro Theory (undergraduate) and American Economic History (undergraduate).
Assistant Professor of Economics, Boston College, 1969-72
- Associate Professor of Economics, Boston College, 1972-77
- Professor of Economics, Boston College, 1977-
- Director of Graduate Studies, 1977-82.
- Visiting Scholar, Institute for International Economic Studies, Stockholm, April- May, 1990, April 1997.
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard University, 1996-7.
- Visiting Scholar, University of Konstanz, May-June, 1997.
Editorial Board, American Economic Review, 1988-92, 1995-
- Editorial Board, Journal of International Economics, 1991-
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Who's Who in Economics, 3rd Edition, 1997
The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas, MIT Press, 1988.
"The Uruguay Round and Welfare in Some Distorted Agricultural Economies," Journal of Development Economics, forthcoming.
- "Effective Protection Redux," Journal of International Economics, forthcoming.
- "Trade Reform with a Government Budget Constraint," forthcoming in Trade
Policy and the Pacific Rim, J. Piggott and A. Woodland, eds., Macmillan for the
International Economic Association.
- "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy", with Peter Neary, Review of
Economic Studies, 63, February 1996, 107-125.
- "Tariff Index Theory", Review of International Economics, 3, June, 1995,156-173.
- "Domestic Distortions and International Trade", with Peter Neary, International
Economic Review, Feb, 1995, 36, 139-158.
- "Measuring the Restrictiveness of Trade Policy", with Peter Neary, World Bank
Economic Review, May 1994.
- "The Trade Restrictiveness of the Multi-Fibre Arrangement", with Peter Neary,
World Bank Economic Review, May 1994.
- "Strategic Lobbying and Antidumping", Journal of Economic Integration (special
issue on dumping), June 1994.
- "The Theory of Protection" in David Greenaway and L. Alan Winters eds. Surveys of
International Trade, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1994.
- "Domino Dumping, II: Antidumping", Journal of International Economics, 35, 133-150, August 1993.
- "Domino Dumping, I: Competitive Exporters", American Economic Review, March
- "Optimal Taxation and Debt in an Open Economy" with Leslie Young, Journal of
Public Economics, Feb, 1992.
- "Trade Reform with Quotas, Partial Rent Retention and Tariffs" with Peter Neary,
Econometrica, Jan. 1992.
- "The Optimal Borrowing Tax", Journal of International Economic Integration,
Spring 1991. Awarded the Dae Yang Prize for best article in 1991.
- "The Coefficient of Trade Utilization: the Cheese Case" in R. Baldwin ed. Empirical
Studies of Commercial Policy, NBER, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1991.
- "The Coefficient of Trade Utilization: Back to the Baldwin Envelope", in Tne
Political Economy of International Trade, R. Jones and A. Krueger eds., London:
Basil Blackwell, 1989.
- "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas," Journal of Economic Education, Winter 1988,
- "Quotas as Options: Optimality and Quota License Pricing under Uncertainty,"
Journal of International Economics, Aug. 1987, 23, 21-40.
- "The Effect of Warranty on Used Car Prices," with Frank Gollop, in Empirical
Approaches to Consumer Protection, FTC, 1985.
- "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas: The Cheese Case,"
American Economic Review, March, 1985.
- "An Econometric Model of Regulated Airline Flight Rivalry," with M. Kraus,
Research in the Economics of Transportation, December, 1984.
- "Identification of Interactive Behavior in Airline Markets," Journal of Industrial
Economics, June, 1984.
- "The Optimality of Tariff Quotas Under Uncertainty," with L. Young, Journal of
International Economics, Nov., 1982.
- "The Optimal Trade Restrictions with Risk Aversion," with L. Young, Review of
Economic Studies, April 1982.
- "The Heckscher-Ohlin and Travis-Vanek Theorems Under Uncertainty," Journal of
International Economics, May 1981.
- "Quality of Service and the Demand for Air Travel," with M. Kraus, Review of
Economics and Statistics, November, 1981.
- "Cross-Section Tests of the Heckscher-Ohlin Theorem: Comment," American
Economic Review, December 1981.
- "The Optimal Policies for Restricting Trade Under Uncertainty," with L. Young,
Review of Economic Studies, November 1980.
- "On the Measurement of Welfare Costs Under Uncertainty," Southern Economic
Journal, April 1979.
- "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review,
- "Optimal Trade with Payments Uncertainty," Southern Economic Journal, January
- "Optimal Buffering Policies for a Small Trading Country," Southern Economic
Journal, September 1976.
- "The Social Cost of Input Distortions: A Comment and a Generalization," American
Economic Review, March 1976.
- "International Trade with Fluctuating Prices," with John G. Riley, International
Economic Review, February 1976.
- "A Note on Welfare Surpluses and Gains from Trade in General Equilibrium,"
American Economic Review, September 1974.
- "Effective Rates of Protection in the U.S.: An Historical Comparison," Journal of
International Economics, February 1972.
- "General Equilibrium and the Effective Rate of Protection," The Journal of Political
Economy, July/August, 1970.
- "Substitution and Two Concepts of Effective Rate of Protection," with Seiji Naya,
American Economic Review, September 1969.
- Reply to a comment relating to the above, American Economic Review, December
- "Auction Quotas and US Trade Policy" by F. Bergsten et al. Journal of Economic
Literature, March, 1989.
- "Sources of International Comparative Advantage," Edward Leamer, Journal of
Economic Literature, March, 1987.
- "The Structure and Evolution of Recent U.S. Trade Policy," edited by R.E. Baldwin
and A.O. Krueger, Journal of International Economics, Nov. 1986.
- "A Theory of International Trade Under Uncertainty," E. Helpman and A. Razin,
Journal of Economic Literature, December 1979.
- "Trade Restrictiveness Benchmarks", 1995
- "The Welfare Impact of Fiscal Policy: A Simple Unified Accounting" 1995, with Will
- "A Mercantilist Index of Trade Policy," 1996
- "Revenue Neutral Trade Reform with Many Households, Quotas and Tariffs," 1997
- "Trade and Security, I: Anarchy" with Doug Marcouiller, 1997.
RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
- "The Market for Influence" with Tom Prusa
- "Measuring Trade Restrictiveness" with Peter Neary (Book project under contract
with MIT Press).
- "Trade and Security, II: Organization" and empirical/historical work on this theme
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITY
Referee for IER, JPE, EJ, JPubE, JDE, REStat, Economics and Politics, various
other journals; NSF.
Recent Conference Presentations
- NBER Summer Institute, 1997, "Trade and Security, I: Anarchy"
- International Economic Association roundtable conference, Sydney, July 1996:
"Trade Reform with a Revenue Constraint". To be published by MacMillan.
- European Public Choice Society, Tel Aviv, March 1996: "The Market for
- European Economic Association, Prague, Sept. 1995: "Effective Protection Redux"
- Recent Developments in International Economics, ADRES/GREQAM, June 1995: "Trade Restrictiveness Benchmarks"
Recent invited seminars
University College Dublin, Boston University, NBER,
Harvard University, Pompeu Fabra University, Stockholm University, LSE, University of Konstanz, Ludwig Maximilian University-Munich, Lund University, Copenhagen Business School.
RECENT FUNDED RESEARCH
Indicators of Openness, OECD, 1996
Agricultural Price Changes and Welfare in Distorted Eonomies, World Bank, 1995-6.
Applications of the Trade Restrictiveness Index, with Peter Neary, World Bank, 1991-4.