CHRISTOPHER A. SIMS
Department of Economics
37 Hillouse Ave.
New Haven, CT 06520-8264
(203) 432-6292 or 432-3560
Born October 21, 1942
Harvard College, September 1959 - June 1963, B.A.in Mathematics, magna cum laude
University of California-Berkeley, September 1963 - June 1964
Harvard University, February 1968, Ph.D., Economics
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
Econometric theory for dynamic models; macroeconomic theory and policy
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Visiting Scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, 1994-
- Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Economics, Yale University, 1992- 94
- Henry Ford II Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1990-
- Director, Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics, 1987-91
- Consultant, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, Summer 1983 and 1986-1987
- Part-time consultant, Control Data Business Advisors, preparing and presenting quarterly forecasts,
- Visiting Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1979-1980
- Professor of Economics, University of Minnesota, 1974-90
- Visiting Professor, Yale University, 1974
- Member, Graduate Faculty in Statistics, University of Minnesota, 1973-90
- Associate Professor of Economics, University of Minnesota, 1970-1974
- Research Fellow at National Bureau of Economic Research, 1970-71
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Harvard University, 1968-1970
- Instructor in Economics, Harvard University, 1967-1968
OTHER PROFESSIONAL WORK AND HONORS
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 1996-
- President of the Econometric Society, 1995
- First Vice President of the Econometric Society, 1994
- Second Vice President of the Econometric Society, 1993
- Member, Commission for Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, National Research Council
- Executive Committee of the Econometric Society, 1992
- Council of the Econometric Society, 1990-92
- National Academy of Sciences, 1989-
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1988-
- Co-chairman (with J.J. Laffont), Program Committee, 1990 World Congress of the Econometric
- Member, Search Committee for Director of Minnesota Supercomputer Institute, 1987-88
- Fellow, Minnesota Supercomputer Institute, 1987-1991
- Member, S.I.A.M. FCCSET Workshop on Research in Large Scale Computational Science and
- Editorial Board of International Journal of Supercomputer Applications, 1987- 89
- Associate Editor for Journal of Applied Econometrics, 1986-89
- Associate Editor for Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 1986-
- Editorial Board of Journal of Economics and Philosophy, 1985-94
- Member, Fellows nominating committee of the Econometric Society, 1985
- Member, National Science Foundation Program Advisory Committee for Advanced Scientific
- Member, Program Committee, Summer Meetings of the Econometric Society, 1984
- Member, Panel on Natural Gas Statistics of the Committee on National Statistics, 1982-1985
- Member, Committee on National Statistics of the National Research Council, National Academy of
- Member, Brookings Panel of Economic Activity, 1975-1976
- Senior Advisor, Brookings Panel on Economic Activity, 1977-
- Co-editor, Econometrica, 1977-1981
- Elected Member, Council of the Econometric Society, 1979-1980, 1990-91.
- Member, Program Committee for the 1980 World Congress of the Econometric Society
- Member, Fellows Nominating Committee of the Econometric Society, 1980
- Invited to present Fisher-Schultz lecture at the European Meetings of the Econometric Society,
- Member, American Statistical Association Advisory Committee to the Census, 1976-1981
- Program Chair, Fall 1976 North American Meetings, Econometric Society
- Fellow, Econometric Society, 1975-
- Member, Editorial Board of Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, through 1975
- Member, Nominating Committee of the American Economic Association, 1974-1975
- Member, National Science Foundation Economics Advisory Panel, 1973-1975
- Seminar Leader, Time Series and Distributed Lags Seminar, NBER-NSF Conference on
Mathematical Economics and Econometrics, 1970-1973
- American Econometrics Editor, Review of Economic Studies, 1973-1975
- Session Organizer and Program Committee Member, Econometric Society Meetings, 1971
- "Evaluating Short-Term Macroeconomic Forecasts: The Dutch Experience", Review of Economics
and Statistics, May 1967.
- "Efficiency in the Construction Industry", Report of the President's Committee on Urban
Housing, Technical Studies, Vol. II.
- "A Theoretical Basis for Double-Deflation of Value Added", Review of Economics and
Statistics, November 1969.
- "Comment on Zeckhauser and Thompson's Study of Non-Normality in Regression", Review of
Economics and Statistics, 1971.
- "Discrete Approximations to Continuous Time Distributed Lags in Econometrics", Econometrica,
- "Distributed Lag Estimation When the Parameter-Space is Explicitly Infinite-Dimensional", Annals
of Mathematical Statistics, October 1971.
- "Approximate Specification in Distributed Lag Models", invited paper for the 38th Session of the
International Statistical Institute, August 1971. Published in Bulletin of the International
Statistical Institute Proceedings volume.
- "Are There Exogenous Variables in Short-Run Production Relations?", Annals of Economic and
Social Measurement, January 1971.
- "Money, Income and Causality", American Economic Review, September 1972. "The Role of
Approximate Prior Restrictions in Distributed Lag Estimation", Journal of the American
Statistical Association, March 1972.
- "Distributed Lags", survey paper in Frontiers of Quantitative Economics II, edited by Intrilligator
and Kendrick (Amsterdam: North-Holland), 1974.
- "Seasonality in Regression", Journal of the American Statistical Association, September 1974.
- "Optimal Stable Policies for Unstable Instruments", Annals of Economic and Social Measurement,
- "Comments and Rejoinders on Matching Procedures for the Creation of Artificial Data Sets",
Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, July 1972 and April 1974.
- "Output and Labor Input in Manufacturing", Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 1974.
- "A Note on Exact Tests for Serial Correlations", Journal of the American Statistical Association,
- "Remarks on Real Value Added", Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, 1977.
- "Business Cycle Modeling Without Much A Priori Economic Theory" (with Thomas J. Sargent),
in New Methods in Business Cycle Research, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, 1977.
- "Exogeneity and Causal Orderings in Macroeconomic Models", in New Methods in Business Cycle
Research, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, 1977.
- "Macroeconomics and Reality", Econometrica, January 1980, pp. 1-48.
- "Comparison of Interwar and Postwar Business Cycles: Monetarism Reconsidered", American
Economic Review 70(2), May 1980, pp. 250-257.
- "An autoregressive index model for the U.S., 1948-1975," In Large-scale macro-econometric
models: Theory and practice, ed. J. Kmenta and J. B. Ramsey. Contributions to Economic
Analysis, vol. 141. Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1981.
- "What Kind of Science is Economics: A Review of Causality in Economics by John R. Hicks",
Journal of Political Economy, 1981.
- "Scientific Standards in Econometric Modeling", in Current Developments in the Interface:
Economics, Econometrics, Mathematics, edited by Hazelwinkel and Kan (Amsterdam: D.
Reidel), 1982, pp. 317-340.
- "Policy Analysis With Econometric Models", Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 1982, pp.
- "Is There a Monetary Business Cycle?", American Economic Review, May 1983, pp. 228-234.
- "Nearly Efficient Estimation of Time Series Models With Predetermined, but not Exogenous,
Investments" (with F. Hayashi), Econometrica, May 1983, pp. 783-798.
- "Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions" (with T. Doan and R.
Litterman), Econometric Reviews, 1984, No. 1.
- Review of Specification, Estimation and Analysis of Econometric Models, by Ray C. Fair, Journal
of Money, Credit, and Banking, February 1986, pp. 121-126.
- "Are Forecasting Models Usable for Policy Analysis?", Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank Quarterly
Review 10, Winter 1986, pp. 2-16.
- "A Rational Expectations Framework For Short Run Policy Analysis", pp. 293310 in New
Approaches to Monetary Economics, W. Barnett and K. Singleton, eds., Cambridge University
- "Multiple Time Series" and "Continuous and Discrete Time Models", in The New Palgrave,
- "ARMA Index Modeling as Estimation in Infinite Dimensional Parameter Space" (comment on a
paper by Herman Bierens), Journal of Econometric Theory, 4. "Identifying Policy Effects", in
Empirical Macroeconomics for Interdependent Economies, Ralph Bryant et al., eds., Brookings
1988, pp. 305-321.
- "Making Economics Credible", p. 49-60 in the volume of invited papers for the 1985 World Congress
of the Econometric Society. MacMillan.
- "Comment on 'Vector Autoregressions and Reality', by David Runkle", Journal of Business and
Economic Statistics, October 1987.
- "Bayesian Skepticism on Unit Root Econometrics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 12,
June/Sept. 1988, p. 463-474.
- "Uncertainty Across Models," American Economic Review Proceedings Issue, May 1988, pp. 163-167.
- "Models and their Uses," American Journal of Agricultural Economics 71, May 1989, p. 489-494.
- "Projecting Policy Effects with Statistical Models," Revista de Analisis Economico, November
1988, pp. 3-20.
- "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots" (with James Stock and Mark
Watson), Econometrica 58, January 1990, p. 113-144.
- "Understanding Unit Rooters: A Helicopter Tour" (with H.D. Uhlig), Econometrica 59, November
- "Rational Expectations Modeling with Seasonally Adjusted Data", Journal of Econometrics, 55,
- "Comment on 'To Criticize the Critics' by Peter C.B. Phillips", Journal of Applied Econometrics,
6, 1991, 423-434.
- "Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy," European
Economic Review, 36, 1992, 975-1011.
- "Empirical Implications of Arbitrage-Free Asset Markets," (with S. Maheswaran) in Models,
Methods and Applications of Econometrics, Peter C. B. Phillips, ed., Basil Blackwell 1993.
- Comment in Evaluating Policy Regimes, Ralph Bryant, Peter Hooper and Catherine Mann, editors,
Brookings 1993, 430-443.
- "A 9 Variable Probabilistic Macroeconomic Forecasting Model," in Business Cycles, Indicators, and
Forecasting, James H. Stock and Mark W. Watson, editors, NBER Studies in Business Cycles
Volume 28, 1993, 179-214.
- "Toward a Modern Macro Model Usable for Policy Analysis," (with Eric Leeper), NBER
Macroeconomics Annual, 1994, 81-117.
- "A Simple Model for Study of the Determination of the Price Level and the Interaction of Monetary
and Fiscal Policy," Economic Theory 4, 1994, 381-399.
- "Econometric Implications of the Government Budget Constraint", to appear in a festschrift in honor
of Carl Christ, 1997.
- "Macroeconomics and Methodology", Journal of Economic Perspectives, 10, Winter 1996, 105-120.
- "What Does Monetary Policy Do?", (with Eric Leeper and Tao Zha), Brookings Papers on Economic
Activity, 2:1996, 1-63.
- "Bayesian Methods for Dynamic Multivariate Models", (with Tao Zha), forthcoming, International
Economic Review, 1997.
- "Asymptotic Distribution Theory for a Class of Nonlinear Estimation Methods", DiscussionPaper
#76-69, Center for Economic Research, University of Minnesota, 1976.
- "Exogeneity Tests and Multivariate Time Series: Part I", Discussion Paper #75-74, Center for
Economic Research, University of Minnesota, 1975. Part of this paper's substance appeared in
a comment on a paper by David A. Pierce in Journal of the American Statistical Association,
March 1977, p.23-24.
- "Least Squares Estimation of Autoregression With Some Unit Roots", Discussion Paper #78-95,
Center for Economic Research, University of Minnesota, 1978.
- "International Evidence of Monetary Factors in Macroeconomic Fluctuations", Discussion Paper
#80-137, Center for Economic Research, University of Minnesota, September 1980.
- "Martingale-Like Behavior of Prices and Interest Rates", Discussion Paper #205, Center for
Economic Research, University of Minnesota, 1984.
- "Solving Nonlinear Stochastic Optimization and Equilibrium Problems Backwards," IEM
Discussion Paper #15, May 1989.
- "BAYESMTH: A Program for Multivariate Bayesian Interpolation", Discussion Paper #234,
Center for Economic Research, University of Minnesota, 1986.
- "VAR Macroeconometrics: An Update," March 1991.
- "Asymptotic Behavior of the Likelihood in an Autoregression with a Unit Root," October 1990.
- "Bayesian Inference for Multivariate Time Series with Trend," presented at the 1992 American
Statistical Association meetings.
- "Error Bands for Impulse Responses," (with Tao Zha) processed July 1995.
- "Does Monetary Policy Cause Recessions?", (with Tao Zha) processed 1994.
The Dynamics of Productivity Change: A Theoretical and Empirical Study. Harvard University,