Department of Economics
London Business School
Sussex Place, Regent's Park
London NW1 4SA
(44 171) 706 6886
Fax: 724 1598
Centre for Economic Policy Research
25-28 Old Burlington Street
London W1X 1LB.
(44 171) 878 2915
Fax: 878 2999
Born Chicago, Illinois, 10 December 1941.
UK and US citizen, UK resident.
Married, two children.
B.A., Yale University, 1962 - summa cum laude, mathematics (1959-1962); summa cum laude, philosophy
D.Phil., Oxford University, 1969 [M.A.(Oxon.), 1965]; Balliol College 1962-63; Nuffield College 1963-64
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
Rhodes Scholarship, 1962-65
Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, 1962
Bicentennial Preceptorship, Princeton University, 1969-72
British Academy Overseas Visiting Fellowship, 1977-78
Guggenheim Fellowship, 1977-78
1965-1969: Official Fellow and Tutor in Economics, Balliol College, Oxford.
- 1969-1972: Assistant Professor of Economics and International Affairs, Princeton University.
- 1972-1994: Professor of Economics in the University of London.
(Head of Birkbeck College Department of Economics,1975-77, 1980-83.)
- 1995- : Professor of Economics, London Business School.
- 1983- : Director, Centre for Economic Policy Research.
VISITING ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
1971-72: Honorary Research Fellow, University College, London.
- 1973, 1974, Visiting Scholar, Institute for International Economic Studies, University of
1976, 1978: Stockholm.
- 1977-78: Visiting Professor of Economics, Harvard University.
- 1978- : Directeur d'Etudes, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris.
PUBLIC AND PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS, ASSOCIATIONS, AND DISTINCTIONS
Fellow of the Econometric Society, 1983- .
- Secretary-General, Royal Economic Society, 1992- . (Council, 1986-92; Executive Committee,
- Council, European Economic Association, 1991-96 . Committees on European Economic
Review and on liaison with European Commission.
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1980- .
- Senior Editor and Co-Chairman of the Board, Economic Policy, 1985- .
- Economic Affairs Committee, Economic and Social Research Council, 1980-84 (Vice-Chairman, 1981-84).
- Board of Directors, Society for Economic Analysis, 1967-9, 1972-80 (Secretary, 1974-7).
Foreign Editor, Review of Economic Studies, 1969-72.
- Editorial Boards: Review of Economic Studies, 1967-1980; Applied Economics, 1973-85;
Journal of Comparative Economics, 1980-85, 1996- ; Economic Modelling, 1983-94; les
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, 1984-7; Economics of Transition, 1994- .
- Panel, Roll Inquiry on Independence of the Bank of England, 1993 (published Report,
Independent and Accountable: A New Mandate for the Bank of England).
- Panel, Kingsdown Enquiry on Britain and EMU, 1995 (published Report by the ACE Working
Group on the Implications of Monetary Union for Britain).
- Tindemans Committee on EU Intergovernmental Conference, 1995 (published Europe: Your
- Member of American Economic Association, Association for Comparative Economic Studies,
Royal Institute of International Affairs (Research Committee, 1982-94), Council on Foreign
- Franco-British Council, 1996- .
- Advisory Board, Institute for International Economic Studies, Stockholm, 1983-90.
- Management Council, Institute for Economic Research 'Innocenzo Gasparini' (Milan), 1990-.
- Management Council, Paolo Baffi Centre for Monetary and Financial Economics (Milan), 1990-
- Advisory Board, Centre for International Economic Studies (Adelaide), 1989- .
- Advisory Board, Department of Applied Economics (Cambridge), 1990-95.
- Scientific Committee, Centro Interuniversitario di Studi Teorici per la Politica Economica, 1988-
- Birkbeck College: Dean of the Faculty of Economics, 1976-77, 1979-82; Governor of the
- University of London: Honorary Degrees Committee, 1984-89.
- Listed in Who's Who, International Who's Who, Europa Who's Who, Debretts Today's People,
and Who's Who in Economics.
- "Input Demand Functions for the Profit-Constrained Sales-Maximiser: Income Effects in the Theory of the
Firm", Economica 35, August 1968, 233-248.
- "The Enterprise under Central Planning", Review of Economic Studies 36, April 1969, 197-212. Reprinted
in Bobbs-Merrill Reprint Series in Economics.
- "The Hungarian Economy 1966-1970", in P.J.D. Wiles, ed., The Prediction of Communist Economic
Performance (Cambridge University Press, 1971), 201-212.
- "Comments on Cyclical Fluctuations in Eastern Europe", in M. Bronfenbrenner, ed., Is the Business Cycle
Obsolete? (Wiley, New York, 1969), 328-332.
- "The Search for Efficiency in the Presence of Externalities", in Paul Streeten, ed., Unfashionable
Economics: Essays in Honour of Lord Balogh (London, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1970), 348-362.
- "Economic Reforms in Hungary", American Economic Review 60, May 1970, 307-313.
- "Long-Run Scale Adjustments of a Perfectly Competitive Firm and Industry: An Alternative Approach",
American Economic Review 61, June 1971, 430-434.
- "Decentralised Planning Procedures and Centrally Planned Economies", American Economic Review 61,
May 1971, 422-429.
- Planning and Market Relations, ed. (with M.Kaser), Macmillan, London 1971, pp. x+265. Proceedings
of a conference of the International Economic Association in Liblice, Czechoslovakia, May 1970;
summary record of the discussion written by R.D. Portes, 79 pp.
- "The Strategy and Tactics of Economic Decentralisation", Soviet Studies 23, April 1972, 629-658.
- "The Labour Market under Central Planning" (with D.S. Hamermesh), Oxford Economic Papers 24,
August 1972, 241-258.
- Hungary: The Experience of Market Socialism", in J.A. Zammit, ed., The Chilean Road to Socialism
(Institute of Development Studies, Sussex, 1973), 367-390.
- "The Effects of Aggregation on Rank Correlation Coefficients", Discussion Paper in Economics No. 14,
Birkbeck College, London, February 1974, 12 pp.
- "The "Tax on Wage Increases": A Theoretical Analysis' (with Y. Kotowitz), Journal of Public Economics
3, May 1974, 113-132.
- "Macroeconomic Equilibrium under Central Planning", Seminar Paper no. 40, Institute for International
Economic Studies of the University of Stockholm, October 1974, 36 pp.
- "Comments on Inflation in Eastern Europe", in Anti-Inflationary Policies: East-West, no. 6 of l'Est
(CESES, Milan, 1975), pp. 212-215, 267-269.
- "Patterns of Instability in Socialist Countries: Discussion", in A. Ando et al. (eds.), International Aspects of
Stabilisation Policies (Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, 1975), 381-388.
- "Economic Planning under Uncertainty: Comments", in M. Bornstein (ed.), Economic Planning, East and
West (Ballinger, Cambridge, Mass., 1975), 119-126.
- "Western Investment in Eastern Europe", in A. Shlaim and G. Yannopoulos, eds., The EEC and Eastern
Europe (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1978), 161-175.
- "The Control of Inflation: Lessons from East European Experience", Economica 44, May 1977, 109-129.
Reprinted in M. Bornstein (ed.), Comparative Economic Systems (Homewood, Ill.: R.D. Irwin, 1979), 448-468.
- "The Supply of Consumption Goods in Centrally Planned Economies" (with D. Winter), Journal of
Comparative Economics 1, December 1977, 351-365.
- "The Demand for Money and for Consumption Goods in Centrally Planned Economies" (with D. Winter),
Review of Economics and Statistics 60, February 1978, 8-18.
- "Macroeconomic Models with Quantity Rationing" (with J. Muellbauer), Economic Journal 88, December
- "West-East Capital Flows: Dependence, Interdependence and Policy", Seminar Paper no. 72, Institute for
International Economic Studies, University of Stockholm, February 1977. Revised version as "East
European Debt in Long-Term Perspective", OECD Project Interfutures, October 1977, 62 pp.
- "East Europe's Debt to the West," Foreign Affairs 55, July 1977, 751-782.
- "Hungary: Economic Performance, Policy and Prospects", in Joint Economic Committee, U.S. Congress,
East European Economies Post-Helsinki (Washington, U.S.G.P.O., August 1977), 766-815.
- "Inflation under Central Planning", in The Political Economy of Inflation, ed. J. Goldthorpe and F. Hirsch
(London, Martin Robertson, and Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1978), 73-87.
- "Macroeconomics when Markets do not Clear" (with J. Muellbauer), chapter 16 of W.H. Branson,
Macroeconomic Theory and Policy (New York, Harper and Row, second edition, 1978), 334-371.
- "Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies", Economic Inquiry 19,
October 1981, 559-578.
- "East, West and South: The Role of the Centrally Planned Economies in the International Economy",
chap. 9 of The World Economic Order: Past and Prospects, ed. by S. Grassman and E. Lundberg
(Macmillan, 1981), 319-357. Appeared also in French in Revue d"Etudes Comparatives Est-Ouest 10,
September 1979, 31-73.
- "Effective Demand and Spillovers in an Empirical Two-Market Disequilibrium Model", Harvard Institute of
Economic Research Discussion Paper no. 595, December 1977, 20 pp.
- "Disequilibrium Estimates for Consumption Goods Markets in Centrally Planned Economies" (with D.
Winter), Review of Economic Studies 47, January 1980, 137-159.
- "Macroeconomic Modelling of Centrally Planned Economies: Thoughts on SOVMOD I", Harvard Institute
of Economic Research Discussion Paper no. 621, May 1978, 64 pp. Abbreviated version in Economic
Journal 89, September 1979, 669-674.
- "Trade, Technology and Leverage: The Limits of Pressure" (with F. Holzman), Foreign Policy 32,
September 1978, 80-90. Reprinted in G. Bertsch and J. McIntyre (eds.), National Security and
Technology Transfer: The Strategic Dimensions of East-West Trade (Boulder, Col.: Westview Press,
- "Internal and External Balance in a Centrally Planned Economy", Chap. 5 of The Impact of External
Disturbances on the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, ed. by E. Neuberger and L. Tyson (New York,
Pergamon, 1980), 93-110. Revised version in Journal of Comparative Economics 3, December 1979,
325-345. Reprinted in Current Research on East-West Trade (vol. 10, no. 4 of Portfolio: International
Economic Perspectives), USIA, Washington, DC, 1985.
- "Reply to Professor Simai", Bulletin of the Association for Comparative Economic Studies 20, Fall-Winter
- "Exchange Rate Policy in Hungary, 1972-76", presented to American-Hungarian Colloquium, Budapest,
November 1978. Issued (in English) as Document de Travail no. 7902, Centre d"Economie Quantitative
et Comparative, Paris, and published (in French) in Revue d"Etudes Comparatives Est-Ouest 10,
December 1979, 257-266. Appeared also in Hungarian.
- "Effets de la Crise sur les Pays de l"Est", Revue Economique 30, November 1979, 1039-1086; revised
version, "Effects of the World Economic Crisis on the East European Economies", The World Economy 3,
June 1980, 13-52 (appeared also in Hungarian). Reprinted in J.M. Letiche, ed., International Economic
Policies and their Theoretical Foundations (New York: Harcourt Brace Academic Press, 1982).
- "External Disturbances and Adjustment in Eastern Europe", Chapter 2 of E. Neuberger and L. Tyson,
eds., The Impact of External Disturbances on the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe (New York,
Pergamon, 1980), 20-29.
- "The Economy: Prices", and "Finance: Foreign Borrowing and Lending", Encyclopaedia of the Soviet
Union (Cambridge University Press, 1981), 362-4, 368-9.
- "The Control of Inflation in CPEs: Reply to Dirksen", Economica 48, August 1981, 309-311.
- "Comments on Branson and Rotemberg, "International Adjustment with Wage Rigidity"", European
Economic Review 13 (1980), 339-341.
- "Central Planning and Monetarism: Fellow Travellers?" In P. Desai, ed., Marxism, Planning and the
Soviet Economy (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1983), 149-165.
- "The Impact of International Economic Disturbances on the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe: A Survey"
(with E. Neuberger and L. Tyson), in East European Economic Assessment, Part 2, Joint Economic
Committee, U.S. Congress (Washington, D.C., 1981), 128-147.
- "Comments on Green and Laffont, "Disequilibrium Dynamics with Inventory Adjustment"", European
Economic Review 16 (1981), 229-232.
- The Polish Crisis: Western Economic Policy Options (London: Royal Institute of International Affairs,
1981). Also published in Polish (Polityka, May and June 1981; Aneks, nos. 24/25) and excerpts published
in French (le débat, May 1981).
- "Macroeconomic Adjustment and Foreign Trade of Centrally Planned Economies" (with D. Winter and J.
Burkett), Discussion Paper in Economics no. 84, Birkbeck College, London, October 1980, 32 pp.
Revised version appeared as National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper no. 736, August
- "La crise polonaise et les relations économiques est-ouest", Politique étrangère 1982, no. 1 (mars), 75-90.
- "Planning the Consumption Goods Market: Preliminary Disequilibrium Results for Poland, 1955-1980"
(with R. Quandt, D. Winter and S. Yeo), in: P. Malgrange and P. A. Muet (eds.), Contemporary
Macroeconomic Modelling (Oxford: Blackwell, 1984), 254-273.
- Deficits and Detente, Twentieth Century Fund (New York), 1983.
- "Macroeconomic Planning and Disequilibrium: Estimates for Poland, 1955-1980" (with R. Quandt, D.
Winter and S. Yeo), Econometrica 55, January 1987, 19-41.
- "The Impact of External Shocks on Centrally Planned Economies: Theoretical Considerations," in
Structural Change, Economic Interdependence and World Development, ed. by L. Pasinetti and P. Lloyd
(Macmillan, London, 1987), pp. 409-425.
- "Economic Aspects," in C. Olmstead (ed.), Extraterritorial Applications of Laws and Responses Thereto
(Oxford, ESC Publishing, 1984), pp.59-62.
- "The Theory and Measurement of Macroeconomic Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies", in W.
Charemza and C. Davis, eds., Models of Disequilibrium and Shortage in Centrally Planned Economies
(London, Chapman and Hall, 1989), pp. 27-47.
- "Estimating the Possible Size of Plan Errors" (with R. Quandt, D. Winter and S. Yeo), Princeton
University Financial Research Centre Memorandum No. 48, April 1984. Appeared as "Estimation de la
taille des erreurs de planification," in Annales de l"INSEE, Nos. 55-56 (juillet-décembre 1984), pp.245-255.
- Report of Ditchley Conference on International Finance, Trade and Development, April 1985.
- "Finance, Trade and Development: Issues in Transatlantic Cooperation", in The "Special Relationship",
ed. by W. R. Louis and Hedley Bull (Oxford University Press, 1986), pp. 235-246.
- "Debt and Default in the 1930s: Causes and Consequences" (with B. Eichengreen), European Economic
Review 30 (June 1986), 599-640.
- "Economics in Europe", European Economic Review 31 (August 1987), 1329-1340.
- Threats to International Financial Stability, ed. (with Alexander Swoboda), Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge 1987, pp. xviii + 307.
- "The Anatomy of Financial Crises" (with B. Eichengreen), in Portes and Swoboda, 1987, pp. 10-58.
- "Money and the Consumption Goods Market in China" (with A. Santorum), Journal of Comparative
Economics 11 (September 1987), 354-371. Reprinted in B. Reynolds (ed.), Chinese Economic Reform:
How Far, How Fast? (Academic Press, 1988), 64-81.
- Comments on B. Csikos-Nagy, "Restructuring Incentives in Hungary,"in B. Balassa and H. Giersch (eds.),
Economic Incentives (Macmillan, 1986), pp. 269-273.
- Global Macroeconomics: Policy Conflict and Cooperation, ed. (with Ralph Bryant), Macmillan, pp.
- "Introduction" (with R. Bryant and J. Driffill) to Bryant and Portes, 1987, pp. 3-15.
- "Tests of the Chronic Shortage Hypothesis" (with R. Quandt and S. Yeo), Review of Economics and
Statistics 70 (May 1988), 288-295.
- Comments on G. Eliasson, "Industrial Targeting", in H. Giersch (ed.), Free Trade in the Economy (J. C. B.
Mohr Verlag, 1987), pp. 361-367.
- "Debt and the Market", paper for the Group of Thirty, September 1987.
- Comments on H. Sneessens, "Investment and the inflation-unemployment trade off in a macroeconomic
rationing model with monopolistic competition", European Economic Review 31 (1987), 812-815.
- "Foreign Lending in the Era of Bond Finance: the Bondholders" Perspective" (with B. Eichengreen), CEPR
Discussion Paper No. 273 (August 1988). Appeared in French as "Les prêts internationaux dans l"entre-deux-guerres: le point de vue des porteurs de titres", Economie Appliquée 41 (décembre 1988), pp. 741-771.
- "After the Deluge: Default, Negotiation and Readjustment in the Interwar Years" (with B. Eichengreen), in
B. Eichengreen and P. Lindert (eds.), The International Debt Crisis in Historical Perspective (MIT Press,
1989), pp. 12-47.
- "Settling Defaults in the Era of Bond Finance" (with B. Eichengreen), World Bank Economic Review 3
(May 1989), pp. 211-239.
- "Dealing with Debt: the 1930s and the 1980s" (with B. Eichengreen), in Dealing with the Debt Crisis, ed.
I. Husain and I. Diwan, World Bank (1989), pp. 69-86.
- "Priorities for Economic Policy Research", in Frontiers of Economic Research, ed. P. Deane (Macmillan,
1990), pp. 148-165.
- "Economic Reforms, International Capital Flows and the Development of the Domestic Capital Market in
CPEs", European Economic Review 33 (March 1989), pp. 466-471.
- "Debt Relief is Overdue", in Latin America: Towards Renewed Growth, Inter-American Development
Bank (Washington, 1988), pp. 10-16.
- International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination, joint report of Group of Thirty Study Group (chaired by
Lord Hunt), New York and London, September 1988.
- Blueprints for Exchange-Rate Systems, ed. (with B. Eichengreen and M. Miller), Academic Press, pp.
xviii+329, 1989. Joint editorial introduction, pp. 1-10.
- Macroeconomic Policies in an Interdependent World, ed. (with R. Bryant, D. Currie, J. Frenkel, and P.
Masson), International Monetary Fund (for IMF, Brookings and CEPR), 1989, pp. vi + 420. Joint editorial
introduction, pp. 1-13.
- Comments on M. Guitián, "Fiscal Adjustment, Debt Management and Conditionality," pp. 148-150 of
Fiscal Policy, Economic Adjustment and Financial Markets, ed. M. Monti, International Monetary Fund,
- "Effective Demands and Spillovers" (with C. Martin), Scandinavian Journal of Economics 92 (March
- The European Monetary System in Transition: A CEPR Report, ed. (with J. Viñals), CEPR, 1989, pp. xiii
- "Macroeconomic Policy Coordination and the European Monetary System", in P. Ferri, ed., Prospects for
the European Monetary System (Macmillan, 1990), pp. 222-235. Appeared in Spanish in Informacion
Comercial Española, No. 675, November 1989, pp. 29-38.
- "Riflessioni sulla situazione economica e culturale", in R. Finzi and S. Lotti, eds., Dove Va l"Europa?
(Milano, Franco Angeli, 1989), pp. 92-95.
- "The Interwar Debt Crisis and its Aftermath" (with B. Eichengreen), World Bank Research Observer 5
(January 1990), 69-94.
- "Foreword" (with Michael Emerson) to Unity with Diversity in the European Economy: The Community's
Southern Frontier, ed. C. Bliss and J. Braga de Macedo, Cambridge University Press, 1990, pp. xix-xxiii.
- "Macroeconomic Disequilibrium in Centrally Planned Economies: Comment" (with R. Quandt), Journal of
Comparative Economics 13 (1989), 576-579.
- "The Price of LDC Debt" (with D. Cohen), CEPR Discussion Paper No. 459, September 1990. Under
revision for Journal of Development Studies.
- "Development vs. Debt: Past and Future", IDS Bulletin 21:2 (April 1990), 7-10.
- Economic Transformation in Hungary and Poland, ed., with Editorial Introduction (pp. 11-17), special
issue of European Economy, No. 43, March 1990 (Commission of the European Communities).
Appeared also in French and German.
- "L'après-communisme: une troisième voie?", le débat no. 61 (septembre-octobre 1990), pp. 187-192.
- Comments on de Cecco, in R. Dornbusch and M. Draghi, eds., Public Debt Management: Theory and
History, Cambridge University Press, 1991, p. 285.
- "International Costs and Benefits from EMU" (with G. Alogoskoufis), in "The Economics of EMU",
European Economy Special Issue No 1, 1991, pp. 231-245.
- "Foreword" (with R. Masera) to A. Giovannini and C. Mayer, eds., European Financial Integration
(Cambridge University Press, 1991).
- "The Transition to Convertibility for Eastern Europe and the USSR", in Economics for a New Europe, ed.
A. B. Atkinson and R. Brunetta (Macmillan for IEA, 1991), pp. 89-98.
- "The European Community and Eastern Europe after 1992", in T. Padoa-Schioppa, ed., Europe after
1992: Three Essays, Princeton Essay in International Finance No 182, 1991. Revised version in
Economic and Social Imperatives of the Future Europe, ed. A. Clesse and R. Tökés (Nomos V., 1992).
- External Constraints on Macroeconomic Policy: The European Experience, ed. (with G. Alogoskoufis
and L. Papademos), with joint editorial Introduction (pp. 1-9), Cambridge University Press, 1991, pp. xxi
- Comment on S. van Wijnbergen, "Mexico's External Debt Restructuring 1989-90", Economic Policy 12
- The Path of Reform in Central and Eastern Europe, ed., with Editorial Introduction (pp. 1-15), Special
Issue of European Economy, July 1991 (Commission of the European Communities, Brussels), pp. xi +
- "Structural Reform in Central and Eastern Europe", European Economic Review 36 (1992), 661-669.
Reprinted in M Bornstein, ed., Comparative Economic Systems (R D Irwin, 1994).
- "European Monetary Union and International Currencies in a Tripolar World" (with G. Alogoskoufis), in M.
Canzoneri, et. al., eds., Establishing a Central Bank for Europe (Cambridge University Press, 1992), 273-300.
- Comment on McKinnon, in Finance and Development: Issues and Experience, ed. A. Giovannini
(Cambridge University Press, 1993), pp. 257-260.
- Comments on papers by Dallago and Zienkowski, in Economic Statistics for Economies in Transition:
Eastern Europe in the 1990s, US Department of Commerce (BLS), 1993, pp. 50-53 and pp. 86-87.
- "From Central Planning to a Market Economy", in Making Markets, ed. M. Mandelbaum and S. Islam
(Council on Foreign Relations, New York, 1993), pp. 16-52.
- Panel discussion, in Postwar Economic Reconstruction and Lessons for the East Today, ed. R.
Dornbusch et al. (MIT Press, 1993), pp. 238-241.
- "The European Community's Response to Eastern Europe", in P. Bofinger, ed., The Economic
Consequences of the East, CEPR, 1992.
- "Enterprise Debt and Economic Transformation: Financial Restructuring of the State Sector in Central
and Eastern Europe" (with David Begg), in Capital Markets and Financial Intermediation, ed. C. Mayer
and X. Vives (Cambridge University Press, 1993), pp. 230-255.
- Comments on papers by Riecke and Oblath, in D. Newbery and I. Székely, eds., Economic
Transformation in Hungary (Cambridge University Press, 1993), pp. 233-235.
- "Eastern Germany since Unification: Wage Subsidies Remain a Better Way" (with David Begg),
Economies in Transition, vol. 1 no. 4 (December 1993), pp. 383-400.
- "Is There a Better Way?", International Economic Insights, May/June 1992, pp. 18-22.
- "The Contraction of Eastern Europe's Economies", comments on paper by M Blejer and A Gelb,
IMF/IBRD conference proceedings, Eastern Europe in Transition: From Recession to Growth, ed. M.
Blejer et al. (World Bank, 1993), pp. 8-11.
- "Enterprise Debt and Financial Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe" (with D Begg), European
Economic Review 37 (March 1993), pp. 396-407.
- Economic Transformation in Central Europe: A Progress Report, ed. (London and Luxembourg, CEPR
and Commission of the European Communities, 1993), pp. xvi + 294.
- "Central Europe: The Way Forward" (with D M Nuti), in R. Portes, ed., Economic Transformation in
Central Europe: A Progress Report, pp. 1-20.
- "EMS and EMU after the Fall", The World Economy (vol. 16 no. 1), January 1993, pp. 1-15. Reply to J.
Williamson, The World Economy (vol. 16 no. 3), May 1993, pp. 381-383.
- "Enterprise Debt and Economic Transformation" (with D. Begg), Economics of Transition (vol. 1 no. 1,
1993), pp. 116-117.
- "Integrating the Central and East European Countries into the International Monetary System", in H.
Genberg, ed., The International Monetary System: Its Institutions and its Future (Berlin, Springer, 1995),
- Comment on paper by J. Williamson, "Economic Reform and Debt Relief in Eastern Europe", in J. J.
Teunissen, ed., The Pursuit of Reform (FONDAD, The Hague, 1993), pp. 131-134.
- Comment on paper by A. Inotai, "The European Communities and Eastern Europe", pp. 172-176 of R.
Henning et al., eds., Reviving the European Union (Washington, DC, Institute for International
- "The Central and East European Countries and the EC", pp. 256-272 of H Herr, et al., eds.,
Macroeconomic Problems of Transformation (Edward Elgar, 1994). Revised version (in Spanish) in
Información Comercial Española, No 728 (April 1994), pp. 97-108.
- "The Future of European Monetary Integration", contribution to panel discussion in D. Cobham, ed.,
European Monetary Upheavals (Manchester University Press, 1994), pp. 229-231.
- Member of group responsible for Independent and Accountable: a New Mandate for the Bank of England,
report of CEPR Panel, November 1993, chaired by Lord Roll, rapporteur David Begg.
- "Transformation Traps", Economic Journal 104 (September 1994), 1178-1189.
- Trade with Central and Eastern Europe: Adjustment and Opportunities, ed. (with R. Faini), pp. xvii +
278, CEPR, 1995.
- "Opportunities Outweigh Adjustment: The Political Economy of Trade with Central and Eastern Europe"
(with R. Faini), Chap. 1 (pp. 1-18) of R Faini and R Portes, eds., Trade with Central and Eastern Europe:
Adjustment and Opportunities, 1995.
- "Economic Liberalization and Reform: The Experience of Eastern Europe", pp. 100-118 of J. Boughton
and K. Lateef, eds., Fifty Years after Bretton Woods, IMF and World Bank, 1995.
- "Economic Transformation in Central Europe and Eastern Germany", in G. Gutmann, ed., Die
Wettbewerbsfähigkeit der ostdeutschen Wirtschaft, Duncker & Humblot, 1995, pp. 11-21.
- Panel discussion in K. Mizsei and A. Rudka, eds. From Association to Accession: the Impact of the
Association Agreements on Central Europe's Trade and Integration with the European Union, New York,
IEWS, 1995, pp. 148-49.
- Crisis? What Crisis? Orderly Workouts for Sovereign Debtors (with Barry Eichengreen), CEPR, 1995, pp.
i-xviii + 134.
- Discussion of G. Calvo and M. Goldstein, "Crisis Prevention and Crisis Management after Mexico: What
Role for the Official Sector?", forthcoming in M. Goldstein, ed., Private Capital flows to Emerging Markets
after the Mexican Crisis, Institute for International Economics.
- Member of Panel responsible for The Kingsdown Enquiry: Report by the ACE Working Group on the
Implications of Monetary Union for Britain, 1995.
- "The Capital Structure of Firms in Central and Eastern Europe" (with F. Cornelli and M. Schaffer),
presented at CEPR-CEPII-OECD Development Center Conference on "China and Eastern Europe",
Budapest, 6-7 October 1995, forthcoming in conference proceedings. Revised version available as
CEPR Discussion Paper No. 1392.
- Panel Discussion in Western Europe in Transition: The Impact of the Opening up of Eastern Europe and
the Former Soviet Union, ed. P de Fontenay et al. (Banca d"Italia, IMF and Oesterreichische
Nationalbank, 1995), pp. 175-176.
- Member of Tindemans Group that was responsible for Europe: Your Choice, Brussels, 1995.
- "The Centre for Economic Policy Research: A "Think Net" Model", in J. Telgarsky and M. Ueno, eds.,
Think Tanks in a Democratic Society: An Alternative Voice, Urban Institute,1996, pp. 73-80.
- "Let's Fight the Next Sovereign Debt War Now", Economic Outlook 20:2, February 1996, 12-17.
- "Dealing With the Debt Threat", Global Outlook, 1st Quarter 1996, pp. 22-31, Economist Intelligence
Unit, February 1996.
- "Implementing EMU", American Economic Review 86:2, May 1996, pp. 139-142.
- Coping with Capital Inflows (with D. Vines), Commonwealth Secretariat, Economic Paper No. 30, April
- "Managing the Next Mexico" (with B. Eichengreen), in Peter Kenen (ed.), From Halifax to Lyons: What
Has Been Done About Crisis Management?, pp. 26-45 of Essay in International Finance No. 200,
October 1996, International Finance Section (Princeton).
- "European Union Enlargement to the East: Institutional Implications of a Strategy", presented at
European Economic Association meetings, Istanbul, August 1996.
- "The European Economy at the End of the Century: A More Integrated Europe", keynote address at 50th
anniversary of Faculty of Economics, University of Ljubljana, September 1996.
- "The Costs and Benefits of Eastern Enlargement" (with R. Baldwin and J. Francois), Economic Policy 24,
April 1997, pp. 125-176.
- "Users and Abusers of Economics", forthcoming in Economic Science: Art or Asset?, ed. P van Bergeijk
and E van Damme (Edward Elgar, 1997).
- "The Euro, the Dollar, and the International Monetary System" (with G. Alogoskoufis), paper for IMF
conference, Washington, 17-18 March 1997, forthcoming in conference proceedings, ed. P. Masson and
- "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency" (with G. Alogoskoufis and H. Rey),
manuscript, July 1997.