Department of Economics, European University Institute
Badia Fiesolana, Via Roccettini, 9
I-50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI), Italy
Fax: (3955) 468-5202
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Born in Barcelona, November 23rd 1953.
PhD in Economics, Northwestern University, August, 1984.
Thesis Title: "General Equilibrium and Growth under Uncertainty."
Supervisor: Truman F. Bewley.
MPhil in Economics, Northwestern University, September, 1981.
Licienciado en Ciencias Econ--micas, Universitat Aut˜noma de Barcelona, June, 1977.
Professor of Economics. Department of Economics, European University Institute.
September 1994 - (present).
- Catedretic de Teoria Econymica (Full Professor in Economic Theory). Departament
de Economia, Universitat Pompeu Fabra. June 1991 - (present) (on leave, September
1994 - present).
- Associate Professor (tenured). Department of Economics, University of Minnesota.
- Research Fellow. Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR). January 1993 - (present)
- Research Fellow. National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). January 1992 -
- Assistant Professor. Department of Economics, University of Minnesota. September
1984 - June 1993.
- Catedretic Inter de Teoria Econymica. Departament de Economia, Universitat Pompeu
Fabra. August 1990 - June 1991.
- National Fellow. Hoover Institution, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. September 1988
- August 1989.
- Teaching Assistant. Northwestern University. January - June 1984.
- Research Assistant. Yale University. September 1982 - December 1983.
- Teaching and Research Assistant. Universitat Autynoma de Barcelona. September 1977 -
- Visiting Professor. University of Southern California, L.A. April 1996.
- Visiting Professor. IGIER, Milan. April 1994.
- Visiting Fellow. Research Department, IMF. Washington. December 1993.
- Senior Research Fellow. Department of Applied Economics. Cambridge University.
September 1992 - September 1993.
- Visiting Professor. Hoover Institution, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. July - August
1992 and 1990.
- Research visitor. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. October 1984 - July 1988,
August 1992, August 1994.
- Professor visitant. Institut de Anelisi Econymica. CSIC, Universitat Autynoma de
Barcelona, Spain. October 1989 - July 1990 and March-July 1987.
- Visiting Professor. Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM. September-October.
- Visiting Professor. Dept. of Economics. Stanford University, Stanford, CA. January-March 1989.
- Editor of the Review of Economic Dynamics. 1997 - .
- Co-director of the European Forum 1996-97 on The Political Economy of an Integrated
Europe at European University Institute.
- Acting Director. Centre de Recerca en Economia Internacional (CREI) (Center for
Research in International Economics), 1995
- Economic Adviser. Secretar'a de Estado de Econom'a (Spanish Ministry of Economy).
- Member of the Comissi-Gestora of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (member of the
Governing Commitee of the UPF) 1990-1992.
- Dege (Dean) de la Facultat de Ciencias Econymiques y Empresariales de la Universitat
Pompeu Fabra. 1990-1991.
- Coordinador dels Estudis de Economia. Oficina per la Promoci-- de la Universitat
Nova de Catalunya". (Coordinator of the new faculty of economics of the, afterwards
named, Universitat Pompeu Fabra). 1990.
FIELDS OF SPECIALIZATION
Macroeconomics. Political Economy and Economic Policy.
Monetary and International Financial Economics.
Theory of Contracts and Learning Theory.
Macroeconomic Theory; Political Economy; Microeconomic Theory;
Financial Economics; Advanced Monetary Theory; Game Theory;
Contract Theory; Learning Theory; Growth Theory; Mathematical
Introduction to Economics; International Finance; Game Theory;
Microeconomic Theory; Monetary Theory; Public Finance; Statistics;
GRANTS AND AWARDS
Grant. Human Capital Mobility (jointly coordinated with CORE) 1994-1997
- Grant. DGICYT (Ministerio de Educación, Spain) 1993-1996.
- Grant. British Council - Ministerio de Educación (Spain) (joint Dasgupta and J. Dutta)
- Grant. DGICYT (Ministerio de Educación, Spain) 1991-1993.
- Grant. CAICYT (Ministerio de Educación, Spain) 1990-1991.
- Visiting Fellowship, Ministerio de Educación, Spain, 1992-93.
- National Science Foundation Grant (joint with S. Sunder). 1989-1990.
- National Fellow. Hoover Institution. Stanford University.1989-90.
- Sloan Grant. Summers 1988 and 1986.
- Grant. CAICYT (Ministerio de Educación, Spain) 1987.
- Grant. CLA University of Minnesota. 1987.
- Grant. Banco de España. 1979 - 1981.
- Licencaitura con Sobresaliente Cum Laude.
- La Economía Española: una visión diferente (ed.) Barcelona, A. Bosch 1996.
- Invitació a la Teoría Económica (ed. with X. Calsamiglia) Barcelona, Ariel. 1991.
- Los Residuos Sólidos Urbanos: Estudio de un Servicio Municipal. Moneda y Crédito.
- La Via Menorquina del Creixement. (joint with E. Farré-Escofet and J.M. Suris) Banca
Catalana. Barcelona. 1977.
- "The Economics of Split Voting in Representative Democracies" (joint with L. Jones
and V.V. Chari) American Economic Review (forthcoming).
- "Actual versus Real Employment in Europe: Is Spain Different?" (joint withF.
Zilibotti) European Economic Review (forthcoming).
- "Learning from in Learning in Economics" in D. Kreps and K.F Wallis (eds.) Advances
in Economic Theory. Cambridge University Press. 1996.
- "A Monetary Union for a Heterogeneous Europe" (joint with G. Giovannetti) in Torres
(ed.) Monetary Reform in Europe. Universidade Cat--lica Editora, Lisbon. 1996.
- "Por qué Hay Menos Empleo en España?: Empleo Real versus Empleo Virtual
en Europa" (joint with F. Zilibotti) in R. Marimon (ed) La Econom'a Espa-ola: una
visión diferente (ed.) Barcelona, Bosch 1996.
- "Integración Regional e Inversión Pública en Españ" (joint with Garcia-Milé) in R.
Marimon (ed) La Economía Española: una visión diferente (ed.) Barcelona, Bosch
- "Europa: Heterogeneidad Económica e Integración Monetaria" (joint with Giovannetti)
in R. Marimon (ed) La Economía Española: una visión diferente (ed.) Barcelona, Bosch
- "La Economía Política de la Unión Monetaria Europea" (joint with Giovannetti) in R.
Marimon (ed) La Economía Española: una visión diferente (ed.) Barcelona, Bosch
- "Does a Constant Money Growth Rule Help Stabilize Inflation?: Experimental
Evidence" (joint with S. Sunder) Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public
Policy, 43, 111-156. 1995.
- "On Adaptive Learning in Strategic Games" (joint with E. McGrattan) in A. Kirman and
Salmon eds. Learning and Rationality in Economics. Basil Blackwells. 1995.
- "Expectations and Learning under Alternative Monetary Regimes," (joint with S.
Sunder) Economic Theory, 4, 131-162. 1994.
- "Indeterminacy of Equilibria in a Hyperinflationary World: Experimental Evidence,"
(joint with S. Sunder) Econometrica, 61, 1073-1107. 1993.
- "Expectationally-driven Market Volatility: An Experimental Study," (joint with S. Spear
and S. Sunder) Journal of Economic Theory, 62. 1993.
- "Growth, Capital Flows and Enforcement Constraints: The Case of Africa," (joint with
Marcet and Marimon) European Economic Review, 1993.
- "Adaptive Learning, Evolutionary Dynamics and Equilibrium Selection in Games,"
European Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 1993.
- "Communication Commitment and Growth," (joint with A. Marcet) it Journal of
Economic Theory, 1992.
- "El Creixement i le Emergencia de les Regions," Servei de Estudis de Banca Catalana,
- Invitació a la Teoria Econymica (jointly edited with X. Calsamiglia). Ariel, Barcelona.
- "Mercats i Institucions per le Intercanvi in Invitació a la Teoria Econymica
(R.Marimon and X. Calsamiglia eds.). Ariel, Barcelona. (1991).
- "Money as a Medium of Exchange in an Economy with Artificially Intelligent Agents"
(joint with E. McGrattan andSargent) Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control
- "Stochastic Turnpike Property and Stationary Equilibrium," Journal of Economic
Theory. 1989. 47: 282-366.
- "Introducción a los Juegos Dincmicos," in Cuadernos Económicos del ICE. 1988. 3:
- "Trade Using Assets which are Divisible at a Cost," (joint with N. Wallace) Journal of
Economic Theory. 47: 223-251.
- "Kreps - Three Essays on Capital Markets almost Ten Years Later," in Revista
Española de Economia. 4: 147-171.
- "Unemployment vs. Mismatch of Talents: Reconsidering Unemployment Benefits,"
(joint with F. Zilibotti), mimeo, European University Institute. January 1997.
- "Recursive Contracts," (joint with A. Marcet), mimeo, Universitat Pompeu Fabra,
Revised March 1996.
- "Convergence of Monetary Inflation Models with Heterogeneous Learning Rules," (joint
with G. Evans and S. Honkapohja) CEPR Disc. Paper Series No. 1310, January 1996
- "A note on the non-commitment solution with debt," mimeo, Federal Reserve Bank of
Minneapolis, August 1994.
- "Currency Competition and Reputation" (joint with J.P. Nicolini and P. Teles) mimeo,
Universitat Pomepu Fabra, May 1994 (under revision).
- "The Core of Private Information Economies," Department of Economics, University
of Minnesota. April 1988. Revised, September 1989.
- "Limited Commitment in the Medieval Economy: The Fief Contract," Hoover
Institution. Stanford University. October 1988. Revised, November 1989.
- "Wealth Accumulation with Moral Hazard," Hoover Institution, Stanford University,
- "Interregional Transfers in a Decentralized Fiscal System: Distortionary Effects of the
Spanish Transfer System," (joint A. Marcet). Department of Economics, University of
Minnesota. April 1988.
WORK IN PROGRESS
- "Electronic Money: The End of Inflation?" (joint with J.P.Nicolini and P.Teles)
- "EMU and Euroization".
- "The Stability of Inflation Target Policies" (joint E. Baruci and Bischi).
- "An Unemployment Insurance System for the European Union?" (joint A. Casta-eda).
- "An EMU with Different Transmission Mechanisms" (joint G. Giovannetti).
- "The Asset Price Theory of Money"
- "Adaptive Learning and Indeterminacy" (with G. Evans and S. Honkapohja)
- "Recursive Contracts II" (joint A. Marcet)
- "Optimal Monetary Policy with Fiscal Constraints" (with J.P. Nicolini and P. Teles).
- "Investment Theory with Financial Constraints" (joint T. Sargent)
- "Commitment, Property Rights, and International Capital Transfers in Developing
Economies" (joint G. Giovannetti and A. Marcet)
- "Exchange Rate Policies in an Experimental Monetary Economy" (joint S. Sunder)
- Experimenting with the Macroeconomy (book joint with S. Sunder)
- Computational Economics Toolkit (book jointly ed. with A. Scott)
PRESENTATIONS IN MEETINGS AND CONFERENCES
- "1997 Meeting of the American Economic Association." New Orleans, January 1997.
- "EMU and Spain." La Coru-a, Spain November 1996.
- "III International Macroeconomics Conference." Santiago de Compostela July 1996.
- "ASSET Meetings." Istanbul. October 1995.
- "The Political Economy of Economic Policy". European Science Foundation. Castel
Gandolfo. September 1995.
- "VIIth World Congress of the Econometric Society". Tokyo. August 1995.
- "Macroeconomics Summer Workshop". Northwestern University. July 1995.
- "Learning and the Emergence of Markets and Other Organizations". Florence. July 1995.
- "1995 Annual Meeting of the Society for Economic Dynamics and Control". Barcelona.
- "CEPR European Summer Symposium in Macroeconomics". Perugia. July 1995.
- "Apprentissage, Coordination et MacroŽconomie". Strasbourg. June 1995.
- "Economic Integration and Regional Gaps". Cagliari. May 1995.
- "II International Conference on Game Theory". Universite di Cassino. March 1995.
- "The Politics of EMU and the IGC of 1996". Lisbon. January 1995.
- "Organization Lines Within Complexity". Istituto Nazionale di Ottica. Universite di
Firenze. December 1994.
- "Carnegie-Rochester Conference on Public Policy". Carnegie-Mellon University.
- "International Perspectives on the Macroeconomic and Microeconomic Implications of
Financial Constraints". Bergamo. October 1994.
- "1994 European Macroeconomic Workshop". Tarragona. April 1994
- "1st International Workshop on Game Theory". Cassino, Italy. April 1994
- "1994 Winter Meetings of the Econometric Society". Boston. January 1994.
- "1993 Economic Theory Summer Workshop". Paris. June 1993.
- Society for Economic Dynamics and Control, 1993 Meetings. (2 presentations) Napflio,
Greece. June 1993.
- "How Do National Policies Affect Long Run Growth." International Conference
sponsored by the Bank of Portugal and the World Bank. Estoril, Portugal. January 1993.
- European Economic Association Congress. Dublin. September 1992. Conference on
Experimental Economics. Universitat Pompeu Fabra. Barcelona. May 1992.
- "Dynamic Economic Models: Computation and Theory". Santa Fe Institute. Santa Fe
NM. April 1992.
- "Game Theory and Economic Organizations". Center for Economic Research. Tilburg,
Holland. January 1992.
- NBER's "Economic Growth Conference". Cambridge, U.S. October 1991.
- European Meetings of the Econometric Society (2 presentations). Cambridge, England.
- "Learning and Rationality in Economics." European University Institute. Florence. July
- "Economic Growth: Endogenous Growth, Sources of Productivity Change, Growth and
Inequality." European Science Foundation Sites, Spain. June 1991.
- "Game Theory and Economic Applications." Indian Statistical Institute. New Delhi.
- XV Simposio de An‡lisis Económico. Universitat Aut˜noma de Barcelona and IAE,
CSIC. Barcelona. December 1989.
- Workshop on Game Theory and Applications. Alicante. Spain. November 1990.
- Vth World Congress of the Econometric Society (3 presentations). Barcelona. August
- Macroeconomics Summer Workshop. Northwestern University. August 1990.
- Workshop on Learning in Games. Stony Brook. August 1990.
- Workshop on Learning in Games and Economic Models. Siena. Italy. June 1990.
- American Economic Association and Society for Economic Dynamics and Control. 1989
Winter Meetings. Atlanta.
- Econometric Society. 1989 Winter Meetings. Atlanta.
- XIV Simposio de An‡lisis Económico. Universitat Autynoma de Barcelona and IAE,
CSIC. Barcelona. December 1989.
- Workshop on Learning in Games and Markets. Santa Fe Institute. October 1989.
- The Economy as a Complex System. Santa Fe Institute. September 1989.
- IMSSS 1989 Summer Theory Workshop. Stanford Univesity. August 1989.
- Dynamic Models in economics. Madrid. June 1989.
- Conference in Honor of L. Hurwicz IAE. CSIC. Barcelona. June 1989.
- Conference in Honor of L. McKenzie. University of Rochester. April 1989.
- Conference on Advanced Computing. Cornell University. April 1989.
- Workshop on Learning and Classifier Systems. Santa Fe Institute. March 1989.
- Economic Science Association Meetings. Tucson, Arizona. October 1988.
- Models of Money and Financial Intermediation. University of Western Ontario.
- IGIER, Universite di Bocconi. February 1997.
- Helsinki University. June 1996.
- Venice University. May 1996.
- University of Southern California. Los Angeles (three seminars)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra. October 1995.
- Bilkent University, Ankara (three seminars). April 1995.
- Universite di Bologna. March 1995.
- Ministerio de Economia. February 1995.
- Ministerio de Economia. December 1994.
- European University Institute. December 1994.
- University of Chicago. November 1994.
- European University Institute. October 1994.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. August 1994.
- IGIER, Milan. April 1994.
- European University Institute. February 1994.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. August 1993.
- Dipartimento di Economia. Facoltˆ di Statistica. Universitˆ di Roma, La Sapienza. May
- Faculty of Economics. Cambridge University. April 1993.
- Bank of Portugal. April 1993.
- Department of Economics, Edinburgh University. February 1993.
- Churchill College, Cambridge University. February 1993.
- Seminaire de Macroeconomie. Paris. January 1993.
- Department of Applied Economics. Cambridge University. May 1992.
- Department of Economics. Arizona University. April 1992.
- Departimento di Economia, Facoltˆ di Statistica. Universitˆ di Roma, La Sapienza. March
- CORE, Universite Catholique de Louvain. December 1991.
- Department of Economics. Duke University. October 1991.
- Department of Economics. Boston University. October 1991.
- Dipartimento di Economia. Universite di Siena. May 1991.
- Department of Economics. University of Minnesota. May 1991.
- Banco de España, Madrid. April 1991.
- Departamento de Economia. Universidad Carlos III. Madrid. March 1991.
- London School of Economics. January 1991.
- Hoover Institution. Stanford University. August 1990.
- Departamento de Economia. Universidad de Valencia. June 1990.
- Departamento de Economia. Universidad Complutense de Madrid. March 1990.
- European University Institute. Florence, Italy. December
- M.E.D.S., Northwestern University. October 1989.
- G.S.I.A., Carnegie-Mellon University. October 1989 and November.
- Department of Economics. University of Minnesota. October and November 1988.
- Department of Economics. New York University. October 1989.
- Department of Economics. University of California. Santa Cruz. May 1989.
- Department of Economics. University of California. San Diego.April 1988.
- Department of Economics. University of California. Santa Barbara. February 1989.
- Department of Economics. Stanford University. February 1989.
- Department of Economics. University of California. Davis.January 1989.
- GSB. Stanford University. December 1988.
- Department of Economics. University of Pittsburgh. November
- Department of Economics. University of Virginia. November
- Department of Economics. University of Pennsylvania. November
- Wharton School. University of Pennsylvania. November 1988.
OTHER SCHOLARLY ACTIVITIES
- Conference on The Political Economy of the European Union (ESF and EUI; with
G. Roland and T. Besley). Florence, June 1997.
- Program Chair, IIth Summer School of the European Economic Association
September 1996, Florence.
- Program committee, 1996 European Meetings of the Econometric Society. August
- Program committee, VIIth World Congress of the Econometric Society". August
- Program chair, Society of Economic Dynamics and Control 1995 Meetings. July
- Conference on Economic Growth, Property Rights and Political Institutions
(NBER and CREI(UPF); with R. Barro it et al.). Barcelona, April 1995.
- Conference on Regional Integration, Trade and Growth (CEPR, UPF and IAE;
with M. Motta et al.). Barcelona, November 1993.
- Workshop on Learning in games and markets (with B. Arthur). Santa Fe Institute.
Santa Fe, NM. October 1989.
- Conference on New advances in macroeconomic theory (with R. Caminal).
Santander, Spain. June 1989.
- Local organizer of the Econometric Society Summer Meetings. Minneapolis, MN.
- Workshop on Incomplete financial markets (with J.M. Esteban). IAE, Barcelona,
Spain. May 1987.
- Conference on Stochastic calculus in economics and finance (joint with M. Dothan
and C. Sims). University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. April 1986.
Econometrica; Journal of Economic Theory; Journal of Political Economy; Journal
of Economic Dynamics and Control; Review of Economic Studies; American
Economic Review; European Economic Review; International Journal of Finance &
Economics; Richerche Economiche (Editorial Board); Journal of Mathematical
Economics; National Science Foundation; Oxford University Press; Investigaciones
Económicas; Revista Española de Economia
Catalan: First language.
Spanish: Fluent in all its aspects.
English: Fluent in all its aspects.
French: Good as a passive language.