Department of Economics
Université de Montréal
C.P 6128, succursale Centre-ville
Montréal, Qc, H3C 3J7
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Born August 10, 1962.
Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Université de Montréal, 1995-present
Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1990-present.
Research Associate, Centre de recherche et développement en économique, 1992-present
Research Associate, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en analyse des
National Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, 1996-1997
Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Université de Montréal, 1992-1995.
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Economics and Industrial Relations
Section, Princeton University, 1991-1992.
Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Ph.D.(Economics), Princeton University, October 1989.
M.A.(Economics), Queen's University, November 1985.
B.A.(Economics), Université Laval, June 1984.
- "Income Redistribution in Canada: Minimum Wages versus other Policy Instruments" (with
Nicole Fortin) forthcoming in W.C. Riddell and F. St-Hilaire (eds.) Public Policies in a Labour
Market in Transition, IRPP 1998. 
- "Adapting to Circumstances: The Evolution of Work, School, and Living Arrangements Among
North American Youth" (with David Card) forthcoming in D. Blanchflower and R. Freeman
(eds.) Youth Employment and Unemployment in Advanced Countries, NBER 1998 . 
- "Rank Regressions, Wage Distributions, and the Gender Gap" (with Nicole Fortin)
forthcoming in the Journal of Human Resources, Winter 1998. 
- "Minimum Wages and Youth Employment in France and the United States" (with John Abowd,
Francis Kramarz, and David Margolis) forthcoming in D. Blanchflower and R. Freeman (eds.)
Youth Employment and Unemployment in Advanced Countries, NBER 1998. 
- "Recent Trends in the Economic Status of North American Youth" (with David Card),
forthcoming in the 1997 Industrial Relations Research Association Proceedings. 
- "Changes in Wage Inequality in Canada and the United States: Do Unions Explain the
Difference?" Industrial and Labor Relations Review 50, July 1997, pp. 629-651. 
- "Choix Occupationnels et offre de travail lorsque les salaires sont fonction du nombre d'heures de
travail"(french version of "The Estimation of Occupational Choices when Wages Depend on
Hours of Work"), forthcoming in Actualité Économique, 1997. 
- "Estimating the Effects of Unions on Wage Inequality in a Panel Data Model with Comparative
Advantage and Non-Random Selection," forthcoming in the Journal of Labor Economics, 1998.
- "Institutional Changes and Wage Inequality: Is there a Linkage?" (with Nicole Fortin), Journal of
Economic Perspective, Spring 1997, pp. 75-96. 
- "Wage Dispersion, Returns to Skill, and Black-White Wage Differentials" (with David Card),
Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 74, No. 2, October 1996, pp. 319-361.
- "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages: A Semi-Parametric Approach" (with
John DiNardo and Nicole Fortin), Econometrica 64, September 1996, pp. 1001-1044. 
- "Le chômage des années 1980: que nous apprennent les comparaisons internationales?" (with
Paul Beaudry) french version of "Unemployment in the 1980s: Learning from International
Comparisons," Actualité Économique, September 1996, pp. 291-304. 
- "Labor Market Institutions and Gender Differences in Wage Inequality" (with Nicole Fortin),
1996 Industrial Relations Research Association Proceedings, pp. 28-36. 
- "Public versus Private Provision of Worker's Benefits: Are Spanish Underground Workers and
American Uncovered Workers In the Same Situation?" (with Sara de la Rica), in R. Blank (ed.)
Social Protection and Economic Flexibility: Is There a Tradeoff?, Chicago: University of
Chicago Press for NBER, 1994, pp. 265-299. 
- "Changing Wage Structure and Black-White Wage Differentials: A Longitudinal Analysis," (with
David Card) American Economic Review 84, May 1994, pp. 29-33. 
- "The Effect of Taxes on Labor Supply in the Underground Economy," (with B. Fortin and P.
Fréchette) American Economic Review 84, March 1994. pp. 231-254. 
- "The Effects of Product Market Competition on Collective Bargaining Agreements: The Case of
Foreign Competition in Canada," (with J. Abowd) Quarterly Journal of Economics 108,
November 1993, pp. 983-1014. 
- "Unions and Wage Inequality in Canada and in the United States," in D. Card et R. Freeman
(eds.) Small Differences that Matter: Labor Markets and Income Maintenance in Canada and
the United States, Chicago: University of Chicago Press for NBER, 1993, pp. 69-107. 
- "The Effects of International Trade on Collective Bargaining Outcomes: a Comparison of the
United States and Canada,"(with John Abowd), in J.Abowd and R.Freeman eds. Immigration,
Trade, and Labor Markets, Chicago: University of Chicago Press for NBER, 1991, pp. 343-367.
- "Are Women's Wage Gains Men's Losses? A Distributional Test" (with Nicole Fortin),
unpublished manuscript, March 1996. 
- "Changes in the Relative Structure of Wages and Employment: A Comparison of the United
States, Canada, and France" (with David Card and Francis Kramarz) Princeton University NBER
Working Paper No. 5487, March 1996.  (under submission)
- "The Determinants of Workplace Accidents: Micro-Data Results for Canada, 1987" (with Martine
Marleau and François Vaillancourt) unpublished manuscript, January 1995. 
- "State Dependence and Unemployment Insurance," (with W. Bentley MacLeod), unpublished
manuscript, March 1994. 
- "Alcohol, Marijuana, and American Youth: the Unintended Consequences of Government
Regulation," (with John DiNardo), NBER Working Paper No. 4212, November 1992  (under
revision at the Journal of the American Statistical Association)
- "Job Mobility and Inter-Industry Wage Differentials," (with Robert Gibbons), unpublished
manuscript, December 1991. 
- "Job Switchers, Dual Job Holders, and Union Wage Differences," unpublished manuscript,
April 1991. 
"L'économie souterraine au Québec: mythes et réalités" (with Bernard Fortin, Gaétan Garneau,
Guy Lacroix, and Claude Montmarquette), Québec: Presses de l'Université Laval, 1996.
BOOK REVIEWS, COMMENTS AND OTHERS
- Review of "Aspect of Labour Market Behaviour: Essays in Honour of John Vanderkamp" edited
by Louis N. Christofides, E. Kenneth Grant, and Robert Swidinski, Industrial and Labor
Relations Review 50, January 1997, pp. 356-57.
- Review of "Differences and Changes in Wage Structures" edited by R. Freeman and L. Katz,
Journal of Economic Literature 34, September 1996, pp. 1369-71.
- Comments on "Alternative Measures of Unemployment Based on Flow Data" by Stephen Jones
and Craig Riddell, in the Proceedings of the CRIW/NBER Conference on Labor Measurement
Issues, University of Chicago Press, 1997 forthcoming.
- Review of "The Economics of Earnings" by Polachek and Siebert, Industrial and Labor Relations
Review 48, January 1995, pp. 362-363.
- "Comments on Gueron's and Rydén's Papers" in E. Reynolds (ed.) Income Security in Canada:
Changing Needs, Changing Means, Montreal: IRPP, 1993, pp. 203-210.
- "Le chômage et le travail au noir," Policy Option / Options Politiques, July/August 1996, pp. 69-72.
- Introduction (in french) to the Canadian Economics Association 1994 Annuals (special issue of
the Canadian Journal of Economics, June 1996).
- Co-organizer (with Paul Beaudry) of the workshop "Unemployment in the 1990s", CIRANO, July
- Co-organizer (with Bentley MacLeod, Pierre-Yves Crémieux, and Marc Van Audenrode) of the
5th Canadian Labour Economics Conference, Université de Montréal, June 5-7 1995.
Université de Montréal: Graduate Labor Economics, Undergraduate Labor Economics,
Undergraduate Income Distribution.
MIT: Graduate Labor Economics, Undergraduate Labor Economics, Undergraduate
Princeton University (Teaching Assistant): Introductory Macroeconomics, Graduate
HONORS AND FELLOWSHIPS
Minnesota Award 1996 (for the paper "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of
Wages, 1973-1992: A Semi-Parametric Approach")
National Fellowship, Hoover Institution, 1996-1997.
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Graduate Scholarship,
Québec Fonds FCAR Graduate Scholarship, 1985-1988.
MAJOR GRANTS AND RESEARCH CONTRACTS
- Crise de l'emploi et disparités croissantes de salaires: perspectives internationales et
historiques (PI) (with Nicole Fortin, Daniel Parent, and Michael Huberman), Fonds
FCAR-98-ER-2843 (soutien aux équipes de recherche), June 1, 1997 - May 31, 2000
- Wages, Employment, and Institutional Rigidities (PI), Social Sciences and Humanities
Research Council of Canada 410-96-0651, May 1, 1996 - April 30, 1999.
- An Economic Analysis of Poor Smokers in Canada (with Vivian Hamilton (PI), Franque
Grimard, and Pierre Ernst), National Health Research and Development Program, 1996-1998.
- Les institutions du marché du travail et la distribution de l'emploi et des salaires (PI),
Fonds FCAR 95-NC-1386, June 1, 1994 - May 31, 1997
- Politiques Publiques, institutions et revenus de travail (with Francois Vaillancourt (PI),
Kathy Cannings, Jean-Michel Cousineau, and Nicole Fortin), Fonds FCAR (soutien aux
équipes de recherche), June 1, 1993 - May 31, 1996
- Labour Market Institutions and Welfare Inequality: A Comparative Approach (PI), Social
Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada 410-93-0550, May 1, 1993 - April
- Unemployment Insurance and Dynamic Work Incentives (with Bentley MacLeod),
Employment and Immigration Canada, Contract 9109-3-0001, March 1, 1993 - October
Member of the Board of the Canadian Employment Research Forum, June 1992
Actualité Economique, American Economic Review, Annales d'économie et de
statistiques, Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Public Policy, Econometrica, Economic
Inquiry, Economic Journal, Economie et Prévision, Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
Industrial Relations, Journal of Economic Literature, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of
International Economics, Journal of Labor Economics, Labour Economics, Quarterly Journal of
Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, Review of Economic Studies, Rand Journal of
Economics, Social Science Quarterly
RECENT PRESENTATIONS AND SEMINARS
- University of Washington, Economics Seminar, May 16, 1997. 
- University of British Columbia, Labour Economics Seminar, May 15, 1997 
- University of Southern California, Development Seminar, April 30, 1997. 
- Industrial Relations Center, University of Minnesota, April 4, 1997. 
- University of California at Berkeley, Labor Economics Seminar, March 18, 1997. 
- Hoover Institution, Stanford University, Economics Seminar, February 3, 1997. 
- American Economic Association / Industrial Relations Research Association, 1997
Meetings in New Orleans, LA, January 4, 1997. 
- NBER Conference on Youth Employment and Unemployment, Graylyn Conference
Center, Winston-Salem, North-Carolina, December 14, 1996. 
- Stanford University, Labor Seminar, November 7, 1996. 
- UC Santa Cruz, Economics Seminar, October 29, 1996. 
- UC San Diego, Microeconomics Seminar, October 24, 1996. 
- UC Los Angeles, Labor/Population Seminar, October 22, 1996. 
- Institute for Research on Poverty Summer Workshop, University of Wisconsin Madison,
June 27, 1996. 
- NBER Pre-Conference on Youth Employment and Unemployment, Universität Konstanz,
Germany, May 18, 1996. 
- Boston College, Economics Seminar, April 25, 1996. 
- University of Toronto, Labour Economics Seminar, March 15, 1996. 
- American Economic Association / Industrial Relations Research Association, 1996
Meetings in San Francisco, CA, January 5, 1996. 
- Université de Montréal, Labour Economics Seminar, December 5, 1995. 
- UQAM, Labour Economics Seminar, November 27, 1995. 
- UBC, Labour Economics Seminar, October 23, 1995. 
- National Bureau of Economic Research, Franco-American Seminar, July 28, 1995 
- National Bureau of Economic Research, 1995 Summer Institute, July 27, 1995 
- CIRANO, Summer Workshop on Unemployment, Montreal, July 20, 1995 
- Institute for Fiscal Studies, Conference on Income Policy and the Distribution of
- Income, London, England, July 11, 1995 
- Université de Montréal, Labour Economics Seminar, March 1995.