DAVID GRAHAM BLANCHFLOWER
Department of Economics
Hanover, New Hampshire, USA , 03755.
Fax: (603) 646-2122
Born March 2, 1952
British; Permanent resident in the US (Green card holder)
Married with two daughters (aged 11 years and 10 years) and one son (aged 6 years).
1973 B.A. Soc. Sci. (Economics), University of Leicester
1975 Postgraduate Certificate in Education - Cert. Ed. Pass with
distinction in teaching; University of Birmingham
1981 M.Sc. (Econ), University of Wales
1985 Ph.D., University of London
1996 M.A. (Honorary), Dartmouth College
Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick, UK -- Research Officer, September 1984-July 1986
Department of Economics, University of Surrey, UK -- Lecturer, August 1986-August 1989
Department of Economics, Dartmouth College, Associate Professor, July 1989-June 1993
Professor, July 1993 - present
- Centre for Economic Performance, London School of Economics, London, England
Research Associate, April 1987 - present
- National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, Massachussetts, USA, Research Associate, October 1989 - present
- Canadian International Labour Network, McMaster University, Canada, Research Associate, July 1997 -
Member of Editorial Board of Small Business Economics
Member of Editorial Board of Industrial and Labor Relations Review
Member of Editorial Board of Scottish Journal of Political Economy
Princeton University's Richard A. Lester Prize for 'the most outstanding book
in Industrial Relations and Labor Economics published in 1994'.
Statistics, Labor Economics, Advanced Labor Economics, Microeconomics and
With Andrew Oswald, The Wage Curve, published in 1994 by MIT Press,
Cambridge, Massachusetts. A full article-length review of the book written by
David Card was published in the Journal of Economic Literature, June 1995.
- With Richard Jackman and Gilles Saint-Paul, Swedish labor market
policy: an evaluation. Report of a Non-Nordic Institution, published by the
Swedish Ministry of Labour, Stockholm, Sweden, 1995.
- With Bernard Corry, Part-time employment in Great Britain 1980,
Department of Employment Research Paper No. 57, 1987.
- With Peter Elias, Occupational earnings and work histories: who gets
the good jobs? Department of Employment Research Paper No. 68, 1989.
- With Andrew Oswald, The area labour cost adjustment: analysis and
a new approach, National Economic Research Associates, London, May 1996
- With Andrew Oswald, The area labour cost adjustment: empirical analysis
and evidence on a new approach, National Economic Research Associates, London,
- With Andrew Oswald, The area labour cost adjustment: disaggregated
estimates, London Economics, June 1996
- With London Economics, Berkeley Hanover Consulting and Andrew Oswald,
Review of the area labour cost adjustment: project A - final report, London
Economics, June 1996
- The role and influence of trade unions in the OECD, report to the
Bureau of International Labor Affairs, U.S. Department of Labor, August, 1996.
PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNALS
'Comparative pay levels in domestically-owned and foreign-owned
manufacturing plants: a comment.' British Journal of Industrial Relations,
July 1984, pp. 265-267.
- 'Union relative wage effects; a cross-section analysis using
establishment data.' British Journal of Industrial Relations, November 1984,
- With Peter Elias, 'Male part-time employment.' Labour Market Quarterly
Report , 1985.
- With John Cubbin, 'Strike propensities at the British workplace.'
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, February 1986, pp. 19-40.
- 'Wages and concentration in Great Britain.' Applied Economics, vol.
18, 1986, pp. 1025-1038.
- 'What effect do unions have on relative wages in Great Britain?'
British Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 24, 1986, pp. 196-204.
- With Andrew Oswald , 'Profit sharing: can it work?' Oxford Economic
Papers, vol. 39, pp. 1-19, 1987. Reprinted in P. Sinclair (Ed.), Prices,
Quantities and Expectations, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- With Neil Millward, 'Trade unions and employment change: an analysis of
British establishment data.' European Economic Review, 32, pp. 717-726, 1988.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Internal and external influences upon pay
settlements: new survey evidence.' British Journal of Industrial Relations, 3,
pp. 363-370, 1988.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Profit related pay: prose discovered', Economic
Journal, September 98, pp. 720-730, 1988.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'The determination of white-collar pay.' Oxford
Economic Papers, 42, pp. 356-378, 1990.
- With Andrew Oswald, The economic effects of Britain's trade unions.
Employment Institute, 1988.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Comment on house prices', Oxford Bulletin of
Economics and Statistics, pp. 137-143, 1989.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'The wage curve'. Scandinavian Journal of
Economics , 92, pp. 215-235, 1990. Reprinted in Unemployment and wage
determination in Europe, edited by B. Holmlund and K.G. Lofgren, Basil
- With Andrew Oswald and Mario Garrett, 'Insider power in wage
determination', Economica, 57, pp. 143-170, 1990.
- With Richard Freeman, 'Going different ways: unionism in the US and
other OECD countries', Industrial Relations, Winter 1992, pp. 56-79 reprinted
in Labor Market Institutions and the Future Role Of Unions edited by M.
Bognanno and M. Kleiner, Blackwell, 1992.
- 'The economic effects of profit sharing', International Journal of
Manpower, 12, 1, pp. 3-9, January, 1991.
- 'Bargaining into the 1990s: where now?', International Journal
of Manpower, 11, 7, pp. 32-39, November, 1990.
- With Andrew Oswald and Neil Millward, 'Unionism and employment
behaviour', Economic Journal, July 1991, pp. 815-834.
- 'Fear, unemployment and pay flexibility.' Economic Journal, March 1991,
- With Bruce Meyer, 'A longitudinal analysis of young entrepreneurs in
Australia and the United States', Small Business Economics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Testing for a U-shaped wage curve: a response to
Sessions', Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 1993, 95(2), pp. 245-248.
- With Jim Sargent and Ardis Olson, 'Adolescent obesity and subsequent
labor market performance: do fat children earn less as adults?', American
Journal of Diseases of Children, 1993, 147(4).
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Estimating a British wage curve, 1973-1990',
Economic Journal, September, 1994, pp.1025-1043.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'An introduction to the wage curve', Journal of
Economic Perspectives, Summer, 1995.
- With James Sargent, 'Obesity and stature in adolescence and earnings in
young adulthood', Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 1994, 148,
- With Simon Burgess, 'Job creation and job destruction in Great Britain:
1980-1990', Industrial and Labor Relations Review, October, 1996, pp. 17-38.
- With Stephen Machin, 'Product market competition, wages and
productivity: international evidence from establishment level data', Annales
d'Economie et de Statistique, 41/42, pp. 220-253, 1996.
- With Andrew Oswald and Peter Sanfey, 'Wages, profits and rent sharing',
Quarterly Journal of Economics, February, 1996.
- With Simon Burgess, 'New technology and jobs: comparative evidence from a
two country study', forthcoming in Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
To be reprinted in a National Academy Press book edited by Bronwyn Hall, Mark
Doms and Francis Kramarz.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'What makes an entrepreneur? Evidence on
inheritances and capital constraints', Journal of Labor Economics,
- With Richard Freeman, 'The attitudinal legacy of communist labor
relations', Industrial and Labor Relations Review, April 1997, vol. 50 no. 3,
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Efficiency wages and the German wage curve' (in
German), Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt-und Berufsforschung, 1996.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
With Peter Elias , 'Local labour market influences on early
occupational achievement,' in Ian Gordon (Ed.), Unemployment, regions and
labour market reactions to recession. Pion Press, 1987.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'International patterns of work,' in British Social
Attitudes: International Comparisons. Edited by R. Jowell and S. Witherspoon,
Gower Press, 1989.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Self-employment and the enterprise culture', in
British Social Attitudes: the 1990 Report, edited by R. Jowell, S. Witherspoon
and L. Brook, Gower, 1990.
- 'Gli effetti economicic del profit sharing in Gran Bretagna' in Salari
e Producttivita. Esperienze Internazionali e Italiene edited by G. Della Rocca
and L. Prosperetti, Aisri/franco Angeli, Milan, 1991.
- With Bruce Meyer, 'Young entrepreneurs in Australia and the United
States', in Youth in the Eighties. Papers from the Australian Longitudinal
Survey Research Project, edited by R.G. Gregory and T. Karmel, CEPR, Australian
National University, 1992.
- 'Part-time employment and industrial relations in Great Britain in the
1980's,' in Working Part-time: Risks and Opportunites. Edited by B. Warme, L.
Lundy and K. Lundy, Praeger, New York, 1992.
- With Lisa Lynch, 'Training at work: a comparison of US and British
youths', in International Comparisons of Private Sector Training edited by
Lisa Lynch and published by University of Chicago Press and NBER, 1994.
- With Richard Freeman, 'Did the Thatcher reforms change British labour
market performance?, in R. Barrell (Ed.) The UK labour market. Comparative
aspects and institutional developments, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- With Larry Katz and Gary Loveman, 'A comparison of changes in the
structure of wages in four OECD countries', in Differences and Changes in Wage
Structures edited by Larry Katz and Richard Freeman and published by University
of Chicago Press and NBER, 1995 pp. 25-65.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'International wage curves', in Differences and
Changes in Wage Structures edited by Larry Katz and Richard Freeman and
published by University of Chicago Press and NBER, 1995, pp. 145-174.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Entrepreneurship and supernormal returns: evidence
from Britain and the US', forthcoming in Birth and Start-up of Small Firms
edited by G. Mussati, A Fumagelli and M. Vivarelli, Kluwer.
- 'Job creation and job loss: research questions arising from the use of
establishment based data', in Job Creation and Loss. Analysis, Policy and Data
Development, OECD, Paris, France, 1996.
- 'Youth labor markets in twenty three countries: a comparison using
micro data'. In School to work transitions in OECD countries: a comparative
analysis, edited by David Stern, Hampton Press, forthcoming.
- With Richard Freeman, 'Growing into work', Employment Outlook, OECD,
- 'Changes over time in union relative wage effects in Great Britain and
the United States', in a Festchrift volume in honour of Bernard Corry and
Maurice Peston, edited by Sami Daniel and John Grahl, forthcoming, published by
- With Matthew Slaughter, 'The causes and consquences of changing
earnings inequality: w(h)ither the debate?', forthcoming in a conference volume
edited by Karen Parker for the Council on Foreign Relations, 1998.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Shares for employees: a test of their effects.'
Centre for Labour Economics Discussion Paper No. 273, February 1987.
- With Robert Crouchley, Saul Estrin and Andrew Oswald, 'Unemployment and
the demand for unions', NBER Working Paper No. 3251, February 1990.
- With Peter Elias, 'Ability, schooling and earnings; are twins
different?' Paper presented at the American Economic Association Meetings,
Anaheim, January 1993.
- 'The bifurcated labor market'. Paper prepared for a meeting of the
Panel of Economic Advisors, Congressional Budget Office, November 15th 1993.
- With Andrew Oswald and Peter Warr, 'Well-being over time in Britain and
the United States', mimeo, Centre for Economic Performance, 1994.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'Supervision, youth and the wage curve'. Paper
written for the NBER conference on Disadvantaged Youth, Konstanz, May 17, 1996.
- With Andrew Oswald, 'The rising well-being of the young'. Paper
written for the NBER conference on Disadvantaged Youth, North Carolina,
December 12-14th, 1996.
- With Andrew Oswald, "Labour market theories on trial', New Economy,
1995, vol 2, no. 3, Autumn.
- With Richard Freeman, 'Creating jobs for youth', New Economy, 1997, vol
4, no. 2, pp. 68-73.
- A review of The Insider-Outsider Theory of Employment and Unemployment
by Assar Lindbeck and Dennis Snower, MIT Press in Economic Journal, December
1990, pp. 1370-1373.
- A review of Unemployment: A Problem of Policy: Analysis of British
Experience and Prospects, by David Worswick, published by Cambridge University
Press in Journal of Economic Literature, December 1993, pp. 1979-1980.
- A review of Bargaining Power, by Roderick Martin, Oxford University
Press in Journal of Economic Literature, December 1994.
- A review of Job Creation and Destruction, by Steve Davis, John
Haltiwanger and Scott Schuh, MIT Press, in Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Review, Applied Economics, British Journal of Industrial
Relations, Economica, Economic Journal, Empirical Economics, European Economic
Review, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Industrial Relations, Journal of
Human Resources, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of Labor Economics,
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Political Economy, Journal of
Population Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Labour Economics - an
International Journal, Oxford Economic Papers, Manchester School, Review of
Economics and Statistics, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Small Business
Governments and Government Departments
UK Departments of Employment (1983-1989) and the Environment (1995-1996);
US Department of Labor, 1996.
Swedish Ministry of Employment, 1995
British Houses of Parliaments - expert witness 1983 and 1988
Congressional Budget Office Panel of Economic Advisors; expert witness,
Swedish Parliament: gave expert evidence. Also acted as a member of
international commission appointed by the Prime Minister of Sweden to examine
the Swedish labor market.
Organisation of Economic Cooperation and Development, Paris, 1994-.
Consultant on labor market issues.
International Labor Organisation, 1997-
New York Federal Reserve Bank, 1996. Consultant to help improve the Bank's
National Economic Research Associates, Cambridge Massachusetts, 1994-
National Economic Research Associates, London, UK, 1994-
London Economics, London, UK, 1994-.
New Bridge Street Consultants, 1986-7.
For all of these firms I help write reports and provide general assistance as
needed on labor market issues, with special emphasis on pay determination. I
also do work for them on personal injury and discrimination cases.
Various New Hampshire (e.g Hall and Hess; Baker and Hayes; Dean, Rice & Howard)
and Vermont (e.g. Shillen & Gray) law firms preparing evaluations of losses of
earnings and homework activities etc. in personal injury, medical malpractice
and wrongful death cases for both defence and plaintiffs.
Private sector firms
London Electricity (UK), 1993. Provided a report on appropriate wage
structure to use in evidence to the government Regulator.
Tesco (UK). Ongoing work for the biggest retail chain in the UK to help
them in determining an appropriate pay strategy.
General, Municipal and Boilermakers Union, UK -- consultant,, 1987.
Union of Shop, Allied and Distributive Trades (USDAW), UK -- consultant,